Microbial Engineering Research Associate
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The five-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
We are seeking an experienced Research Associate to join our Microbial Engineering group. Ideal attributes include a desire to learn and develop new methods and a passion for working in interdisciplinary teams. This individual will interact closely with Scientists and other RAs to support DNA cloning and microbial culture and microbial engineering activities.
Responsibilities will include:
- Design and execute DNA cloning using a variety of techniques including restriction/ligation, LIC, SLIC, Gibson, and Golden Gate
- Design and create arrayed and pooled plasmid libraries
- Prepare plasmid DNA clones, purified DNA, RNA, and lab reagents within quality guidelines
- Culture, characterize, and transform multiple microbial species
- Prepare media, make competent cells, and maintain equipment
- Maintain records and organize high throughput workflows
- Compile data to support/contribute to technical reports and presentations
Candidate must possess:
- Bachelor’s degree in the life sciences
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working in a biotech company or a 96-well plate based academic environment with a focus on DNA cloning
- Strong understanding and demonstrated experience with the methodologies listed above
- Solid computer skills, specifically with spreadsheets, databases, and DNA cloning software
- Strong desire to learn and to solve problems
- Strong organizational, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
Special Consideration will be given to:
- Microbial genetics experience
- Culturing anaerobic microbes experience
- Library screening experience
- Cas9 based recombineering experience
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @CaribouBio (https://twitter.com/cariboubio).
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company observed holidays. The Company provides Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance, along with a retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. We promote a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
No phone calls please. Direct applicants only. No agencies please.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.