Research Program Manager
Vertex Pharmaceuticals Inc. is currently seeking a Program Manager to join the Drug Discovery and Development Program Management team in Boston, MA. Responsibilities include the coordination and operational management of early stage drug discovery projects through to early development stages, including preclinical and pharmaceutical development activities. The successful candidate must have the skills to transform program strategy into executable plans and to develop and maintain project plans to ensure that deliverables are successfully executed within budget to meet project goals and corporate strategies.
- Transform program strategy and goals into executable plans and manage project teams to execute on project plans
- Prepare and maintain integrated cross-functional project plans and scenarios with a variety of project management tools (MS Project, SharePoint, excel and web-based)
- Partner with Project Leaders to run project meetings, communicate progress, coordinate and prioritize activities, and identify and resolve potential issues
- Organize and manage project related information, such as meeting materials, goals, resourcing, budget, and timelines using document sharing tools (e.g. SharePoint)
- Assist project teams with preparation for alignment and governance meetings and portfolio reviews
- Prepare clear communication documents such as meeting minutes and action tracking to ensure shared understanding of key decisions, actions, risks and assumptions, and objectives
- Coordinate and/or prepare reports, budgets, and resource plans for the organization in partnership with the Project Leader, cross-functional teams, and Finance
- MS or PhD in a pharmaceutically relevant scientific area plus 2 years’ experience in a biotech or pharmaceutical related position
- Demonstrated effective organization and communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in diverse teams involving multi-disciplines
- Collaborative approach to achieving goals in a fast-paced, team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to successfully manage her/his efforts supporting multiple projects and responsibilities
- Experience in cross-functional pharmaceutical drug discovery and/or early development environment
- Experience with project management approaches or tools, project planning, timeline and budget management
- Interest in applying skills and ideas to improve processes and solve problems
- A desire to be part of a highly innovative company aimed at transforming the lives of people with serious diseases, their families and society
- Embody the Vertex Core Values of Uncompromising Commitment to Patients, Fearless Pursuit of Excellence, Innovation is Our Lifeblood, and “We” Wins
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.