Lab Operations Manager
Lab Operations Manager
The Lab Operations Manager, is responsible for ensuring effective maintenance and operation of all laboratory equipment and services. This role is responsible for adequate inventory of laboratory supplies, service contracts management, waste management, consumable order and delivery, safety compliance and overall efficient, compliant and safe use of laboratory resources and functions. The Lab Operations Manager is a team player, has a solution oriented mindset, prepared and able to perform physical tasks and adept in working with operational systems, vendors and different stakeholders.
- Oversee and lead the day to day operation of the labs, ensuring operational efficiency and safety of the employees.
Ensure compliance with laboratory facilities standard operating procedures and best practices
- Oversight of all safety requirements, organize and maintain EH&S protocols, records, reports and compliance, prepare for inspections, insure that employees receive proper safety training and maintain training records.
- Manage equipment service, contracts, and warranties
- Coordinate repair, maintenance, and calibration of laboratory equipment
- Responsible for monitoring of cold storage temperatures and act as point of contact for system alerts
- Manage incoming and outgoing shipments including cold shipments
- Responsible for US and International shipments, including cold shipments: documentation, packaging, sending, receiving and distribution
- Ensure company follows the requirements as a small quantity waste generator
- Safely handle chemical and biological waste management, including ordering waste pickups, maintaining waste logs, and filing necessary paperwork
- Monitor and Maintain adequate oversight of laboratory equipment inventory of consumables
- Monitor and schedule Generator maintenance
- Responsible for all operational aspects of Business Continuity Plan
- Responsible for monitoring and ordering critical materials such as dry ice, carbon dioxide tank(s) and liquid nitrogen refills
- Manage procurement operations of R&D CAPEX and OPEX
- Place Purchase Orders with vendors.
- Work with the ERP system to update and receive orders
- Track and manage returns.
- Negotiate with vendors and maintain pricelists.
Education and experience required for this position:
- Associate degree in Life Science or Biotechnology
- A minimum of 5 years’ directly related experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of regulations of biohazard facilities and biological and chemical material handling
- Must have demonstrated effectiveness as a hands-on, results-oriented person who is willing and able to work on a wide range of activities, including physical activities.
- In-depth experience and knowledge of lab equipment, software and tracking systems, along with an understanding of workflow and process efficiencies
- Experience working with ERP systems and with the finance team to comply with SOX controls
- Experience with MS Office, Word, Excel, PPT
Interpersonal and Team Skills:
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, collaborative style working with both internal and external stakeholders
- Independent and self-motivated individual, able to work independently and efficiently
- Strong communication (verbal and written) and documentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead small projects independently.
- Conduct and/or manage multiple tasks with efficiency, effectiveness and attention to details
- Take initiative to identify issues or gaps and resolves them