Director/Manager of Business Development
About Ascendia Pharmaceuticals:
Ascendia is a specialty pharmaceutical company dedicated to developing enhanced formulations of existing drug products, and enabling formulations for pre-clinical and clinical stage drug candidates. Ascendia specializes in creating formulations for poorly-water soluble molecules using nano-particle technologies. Ascendia assesses the feasibility of a broad array of formulation options in order to improve a drug’s bioavailability and solubility. Ascendia’s technologies include nano-emulsions, amorphous solid dispersions, nano-particles, injectable, and controlled release. Ascendia provides formulation development and cGMP manufacturing services (CDMO) - from discovery-stage molecules to life-cycle-management projects - creating formulation solutions with enhanced biopharmaceutical properties suitable for clinical scale-up.
About the Position:
The position of Director/Manager, Business Development will focus on creation of new business development opportunities and client management for Ascendia. The geographical scope of the position covers the entire United States, although ex-US opportunities will be explored as they arise. The Manager/Director, Business Development will be responsible for achieving target revenue performance for Ascendia’s contract research product offerings and leading interactions with clients on behalf of Ascendia. The candidate will drive activities towards the achievement of both short and long term revenue objectives as they relate to external collaboration efforts.
• Create and implement an effective, proactive growth strategy designed to generate new business opportunities for contract research services to achieve company's revenue goals.
• Develop and maintain an understanding of customers, competitors and marketplace dynamics. Identify target customers where Ascendia’s technical capabilities represent a fit and where Ascendia can create significant value. Develop plans to penetrate target customers; assess demand and technical requirements for new opportunities.
• Develop and implement short and long term operating objectives, strategies, and budgets required to meet the business’ growth and profitability objectives. Manage the company's tradeshow participation efforts.
• Provide presentations on Ascendia to industry groups and customers. Develop, coordinate, plan and participate in seminars and technical workshops designed to expand the role of the business for both internal and external customer education
• Perform high-level business development activities, including meeting 1:1 with potential customers, making capabilities presentations, negotiating contract terms, and managing the quotation and proposal process for new projects.
• Provide effective project and alliance management for existing and new customers.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A proven track record of achieving sales targets and developing relationships with director-level contacts at pharmaceutical and biotechnology organizations. Experience with negotiating and closing deals in the area of pharmaceutical services sector are desirable.
• A minimum of 3 years of relevant industry experience in pharmaceutical/medical product development and/or business development, preferably in the drug delivery or contract research fields. Possesses a solid understanding of drug development process.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills are essential.
• A demonstrated ability to engage with new customers, with strong presentation and interpersonal skills - a persuasive, reason-based personality.
• Ability to quickly set priorities and develop practical plans. Attention to detail and ability to work simultaneously on multiple priorities.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite: MS PowerPoint, MS Word, and MS Excel.
• Strong work ethic; self-motivation; dedication; a results orientation; and entrepreneurial. Flexibility and desire to excel in a small-company environment.
• The candidate should have sound judgment, high energy and be a proactive thinker that can produce results in a timely fashion. A “hands on” approach to marketing/business development as well as a “get-the-job-done” mentality is required.
• The position is located at Ascendia’s facility in North Brunswick, NJ.
• Approximately 30% travel is required - primarily trade shows and customer site visits.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Base Salary: dependent on experience
• Eligible for Bonus Plan
• Stock options: eligible after one year of service
• Participation in the company's health-care plan
• Paid vacation/personal time + holidays
To apply, please submit your CV or resume