Senior Scientist I/ II Engineering
Process Research and Development invents chemical processes and prepares active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) to enable clinical trials, toxicology studies and drug product development for AbbVie's pre-clinical and clinical drug pipeline. In addition to working with small molecules, Process R&D also develops antibody drug conjugates (ADC).
We create valuable intellectual property through composition of matter, chemical processes and technologies resulting in cost effective commercial manufacturing processes. We develop the supply chain for APIs, prepare and defend CMC (Chemistry, Manufacturing and Control) regulatory content.
Chemical Engineers in AbbVie's R&D work in multi-functional teams to develop scalable processes and supply API for safety testing, clinical trials and formulation development. The teams include Process Chemistry, Pilot Plant Operations, Analytical Chemistry and Solid State Chemistry. Chemical Engineers support API projects through all phases of development.
Early in development, engineers focus on ensuring the process can be run safely, identifying and addressing major scale-up issues and developing the final (API) process step. Later in the development process, engineers optimize the API process and lead process campaigns run in the R&D Pilot Plant. In the final stage of development, engineers transfer the optimized process to manufacturing and support process validation.
*Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience*
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering (and 10+ years of experience), Master's Degree in Chemical Engineering (and 8+ years of experience), or a PhD in Chemical Engineering (and 0-3+ years of experience) required.
- Candidates are expected to have a strong background in the design and development of chemical engineering unit operations and processes.
- It is imperative that the candidate possesses at least 3 years of demonstrated pharmaceutical development experience and familiarity with various process analytical technologies (PATs).
- PhD and 4+ years of experience preferred. Relevant exposure during Ph.D. research would also be counted towards experience.
The successful candidate will play a key role in the Process Chemical Engineering function within Process R&D.
The core deliverable of the function is to:
- Develop robust commercial processes to manufacture small molecule APIs and ADCs.
- Address challenging problems in chemical reactions, extractions, distillations, crystallizations, filtration and drying to meet the target chemical and physical property attributes of the product through an in-depth scientific assessment of these unit processes/operations.
- Lead identification and development of novel approaches and technologies to enhance efficiency in process development and commercialization.
- Exhibit a collaborative nature in identifying process challenges on a wide range of projects, and take on a leadership role in developing and implementing solutions.
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills and be a strong team player.
Key Leadership Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross-functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled