Senior Director, Separations Process Development
The Process Development team builds quality, safety, and cost-efficiency into manufacturing processes as they are developed to produce renewable chemical products. Strains making compounds never produced by fermentation are now available and the products are being commercialized. These compounds are solids, liquids, and gases; and some are toxic or unstable; and many will completely alter the markets into which they enter. Thus, Amyris is seeking a creative Senior Director to lead the development of the separations processes. Experience in product recovery – centrifugation, filtration, evaporation – and pilot plant leadership is required; experience with product purification via distillation, chromatography, and/or adsorption – is desired. Prowess in using experimental data and modeling to predict process performance and determine process parameters for scale up is essential. Ideally, experience from proof of concept at the bench to scale up and manufacturing is desired. Finally, this critical position requires interactions with several disciplines, including research, fermentation & purification PD, engineering, and manufacturing/safety/quality organization.
- Display personal responsibility for individual as well as co-worker safety and maintaining safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies.
- Mentor separations scientists and engineers to become more effective, innovative, and collaborative and to have increasing impact as a team.
- Guide laboratory and pilot scale experimentation: help the team design efficient experiments, analyze and interpret data, and build better scale-down models of the manufacturing operations. Contributing to the strategic development of Amyris Process Development and Manufacturing to ensure those teams are ready to efficiently build the Amyris systems and capabilities we need for the future.
- Implement continuous improvement system to ensure that the Amyris Pilot plants and separation teams are equipped and staffed to handle the development challenges of today AND continuing to increase efficiency and capability of these teams to meet Amyris goals of the future.
- Provide estimated CAPEX for equipment modifications plus generate capital and variable cost estimates for recovery processes.
- Adeptly design and maintain departmental budgets.
- Contribute to the direction and oversight of technology transfer teams
- Advise on the generation of effective SOPs, Development Reports, Tech Transfer and Campaign reports
- Provide critical assessment of process strategy and communicate success probabilities to stakeholders
- Master’s Degree in Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 20 years of relevant industry experience.
- Transfer of technology: Established experience writing Development Reports, SOP’s and Technology Transfer Reports and following through the transfer to plant start-up.
- Hands-on experience with reactor systems and unit operations (10-1000 MT scale, including disk-stack centrifugation, dead-end + cross flow filtration, and/or vacuum evaporation).
- Team-oriented, with problem solving skills and effective communication skills
- Experience with fermentation and/or hydrogenation is a plus.
- Management experience including managing a team of direct reports for a minimum of 10 years
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website http://www.amyris.com.