Associate Director, Program Management Office
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
We are headquartered in Novato, CA, 25 miles north of San Francisco and we also have an office in South San Francisco. This position will be primarily based in our Brisbane, CA office.
Ultragenyx is looking for an Associate Director with a passion and creativity to develop great medicines for rare and ultra-rare diseases. The individual will be a self-starter with excellent project management skills and the ability to build strong rapport across functions. The successful candidate will be ready for a career defining experience and have the passion to drive a number of therapeutics for devastating diseases to final approval and launch.
This position will report to the Executive Director Program and Portfolio Management and will be responsible for managing one to two programs depending on the stage and scope of a program within the late-stage development and commercialization stages. In addition, this individual will actively support development of the department and tools/process across the portfolio
Responsibilities, but not limited to:
- Support the program team to develop, maintain and execute the integrated late-stage development strategy, medical affairs strategy, and commercial strategy for multiple programs (both small molecules and/or biologics). The number of programs will depend on stage and scope of the programs.
- Directs and controls multiple programs that are cross-functional development, medical affairs, and commercial teams, through the development and commercialization.
- Design, develop and manage project schedules for Medical Affairs projects, Commercial products, and Research and Development programs.
- Lead and develops the cross-functional plans together including realistic but aggressive timelines, budget and resources planning, risk assessment and contingency planning.
- Ensures cross-functional alignment and organizational support for the execution of the program plan by facilitating internal and external stakeholder meetings. Driving the team to ‘out-of-box” thinking and creative issue resolution.
- Lead and drives objective setting process for programs.
- Responsible for monitoring and tracking the project against approved timelines and milestones, and ensures adherence to agreed-upon team objectives and deliverables.
- Manages prioritization of project team activities to enhance program value.
- Acts as spokesperson for the program, and may represent program internally and externally.
- Responsible for comprehensiveness and quality of program information in the internal systems, databases, and communication to Senior Management and program team
- Expected to identify bottlenecks, surface issues, and proactively drive for their resolution. Leads contingency planning efforts.
- Conducts thorough assessment of intangible variables, fundamental issues, providing strategy and directions for multiple programs and/or initiatives
- Leads ad-hoc cross-functional task forces as needed aiming at issue resolution.
- Consistently works with abstract ideas or situations across functional areas
- Manages and tracks implementation of publication and ad board planning
- Ensures effective, proactive and open communications, horizontally and vertically, in order to achieve transparency and clarity of program goals, progress and issues.
- Develop departmental processes, procedures and tools to improve departmental functioning and portfolio management.
- Support Business Development in in-licensing activities and Alliance management
- Supports/leads/drives corporate policies and process improvements, and ensures consistent implementation.
- May be supervising PCs/PMs/Sr PMs
- Managing a portfolio of programs and/or initiatives
- Required advanced degree with minimum 15 years of industry experience
- At least 15 years equivalent multi-/ cross-functional leadership experience in late-stage development, medical affairs, and commercialization of products.
- Advanced level of science and clinical acumen. Experience working in genetic, rare diseases preferred
- Cross-functional team and relationship enhancing skills
- Previous work and leadership experience in international and multidisciplinary drug development teams and broad operational experience with an experienced understanding of drug development, Medical Affairs, and commercialization process
- In-depth knowledge of preclinical, clinical, regulatory, and commercial functions, as well as business strategy and business requirements.
- Outstanding Project Management skills, including expertise in designing, developing, and managing project schedules and resource management.
- Understands financial aspects, including knowledge of resource planning (headcount and budget) and management
- Ability to critically and objective interpret and evaluate scientific and competitive, business related information.
- Exercise wide latitude in determining objectives and approaches critical to program/organization; requires minimal program strategic direction needed from Executive Director
- Must possess solid leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and negotiation skills for bridging between scientific and business participants, for negotiating timelines and for effective collaboration, with internal and external executive-level management
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.
Note to External Recruiters: All candidate activity and open positions are managed strictly through our Human Resources Department. Our Human Resources Department kindly requests that recruiters not contact employees/hiring managers directly in an attempt to solicit business and present candidates. Please note that failure to comply with this request will be a factor in determining a professional relationship with our organization. Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place between the Human Resources Department and the recruiting agency will not create any implied obligation. Inquiries on developing a recruiting relationship with us, may be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.