Principal Scientist - Pharmacokinetics & Drug Metabolism
Amgen is seeking a Scientist and Leader to join the Pharmacokinetics and Drug Metabolism (PKDM) department at our Kendall Square site in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In this role you will contribute to Amgen's diverse discovery and development portfolio of therapeutic modalities with a focus on small molecule metabolite identification, elucidation of metabolic pathways and reaction mechanisms. You will work directly with other PKDM stakeholders at multiple Amgen research sites (Cambridge, MA, San Francisco and Thousand Oaks, CA) to influence drug discovery direction including interpretation and communication of the impact of your teams results on drug safety, chemistry strategy, and clinical pharmacology planning to advance the best therapeutic candidates. In addition, this position will make meaningful and innovative contributions to the fundamental understanding of the biological factors that affect the metabolism and clearance of multiple modalities as well as contribute to regulatory filing activities.
In this position the core responsibilities are to:
- Guide strategy, provide subject matter expertise for the ADME sciences and mentor metabolite identification scientists as a group leader within the PKDM organization in Cambridge
- Identify drug metabolites using LC-MSMS and other analytical methodologies (sometimes requiring the use of radio-labelled materials)
- Plan, design, and conduct fit for purpose in vitro studies and in vivo sample analysis; analyze, interpret, integrate and communicate study results
- Devise, articulate, and implement strategies for improvement of the clearance and safety properties for candidate molecules
- Lead the implementation of new techniques, improved processes and evaluation of new technologies/instrumentation
In addition to the core responsibilities, the position provides the opportunity to pursue scientific inquiries into the metabolism of small and large molecule biotherapeutics including mechanistic studies. The role may also include PKDM project team representation responsibilities. A collaborative and highly capable scientific cross-site community at Amgen is available to support these efforts.
Doctorate degree & 3 years of Scientific experience
Master's degree & 6 years of Scientific experience
Bachelor's degree & 8 years of Scientific experience
Ph.D. in a pharmaceutical science, chemistry or equivalent field of study
6 years of drug discovery and development experience including contribution to regulatory filings
Expertise with HRMS and Thermo orbi-trap platform and knowledge/expertise of NMR
Expertise in interpretation of metabolite ID data and translation to impact on program direction (e.g. influencing molecule design cycle)
Critical thinking and demonstrated ability to communicate with team members across broad disciplines
Effective oral and written communication skills