Senior Scientist, Mucosal Immunology
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist at our Foundational Immunology department based in Worcester, MA. We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a scientific background in immunology with in-depth scientific knowledge in mucosal immunology with special focus on inflammatory bowel diseases. The position offers a unique opportunity for a talented scientist to work in a dynamic, innovative, and multi-disciplinary environment to develop their career at the interface of basic research and early drug discovery.
The scientist will be responsible for conceptualization, developing study design, execution and analysis with the overall aim of promoting innovative science. The position requires ability to work independently, have excellent technical, written and oral communication skills and work very well in a collaborative team environment. You should also have a proven publication record revealing scientific excellence.
- BS, MS or PhD in Immunology or closely related field with 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years experience with expertise in pathogenesis, progression and underlying immunobiology of inflammatory bowel diseases
- Strong background in cellular immunology of IBD, preferably the impact of cross talk between innate immune cells and gut epithelial cells, mucus & microflora in disease development.
- Familiar with experimental animal models for inflammatory bowel disease.
- Extensive hands on experience in isolation and manipulation of primary immune cells from human and mouse blood or tissues (preferably gut), immunological phenotyping of subsets of immune cells including gut macrophages and dendritic cells.
- Experience in in vitro dendritic cell, macrophage, B cell and T cell functional assays.
- Proficient in multi-color flow cytometry-both handling flow cytometer (Fortessa, Canto, MACS Quant, and LSR) and independently analyzing the data using analytical software such as FlowJo is required. Confocal microscopy and Amnis Image stream experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of assays to study epithelial and innate cell interaction; innate cell mucus interaction; innate cells microbiota interactions would be an added benefit.
- Acquaintance with immunoprecipitation and western blotting, ELISA, ELISPOT assays are plus.
- The candidate should be energetic and inspirational, with communication skills that enable him/her to be persuasive to a broad and heterogeneous group of stakeholders.
- Spends ~ 80-90% of time in laboratory to propose novel targets, design and implement various experiments to generate pre-clinical proof-of-concept and generate data package to enable advancement of early targets into our immunology portfolio.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with peers
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled