Senior Scientist II, Protein Engineering & Characterization
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with a background in protein engineering, expression, purification and analytical characterization to join the AbbVie Global Biologics Discovery organization. This individual will work in drug discovery cross-functional teams both internally and externally to design, produce, characterize and test recombinant proteins for different therapeutic areas including metabolic diseases, oncology, immunology and aging. Responsibilities:
- Execute hands on scientific research involving engineering, production and screening of recombinant tool and therapeutic proteins, including antigens, antibodies, fusion proteins and multi-specific biologics.
- Apply various protein analytical methods to characterize and test recombinant proteins in relevant biochemical and cellular experiments.
- Work collaboratively with matrixed project teams and members of the Global Biologics Group to drive innovation and deliver novel therapies for patients.
- Develop productive collaborations and communication with other groups across therapeutic areas.
- Timely documentation of experiments and activities in electronic archive systems.
- Engage colleagues in cross-disciplinary scientific discussion, present scientific data to internal and external audiences and publish research in peer-reviewed journals.
- BS, MS or PhD degree in biochemistry or related discipline with 12+ (BS), 10+ (MS) or 4+ (PhD) years of relevant experience in academic or biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting.
- Extensive expertise in recombinant protein production, proficiency in analytical techniques for protein characterization (such as mass spectrometry, chromatography and others).
- Hands-on experience in molecular cloning, and designing/producing novel bi-specific proteins in mammalian and bacterial cells, is highly desired.
- Proficiency in biochemical assay development including MSD, ForteBio, and receptor ligand interaction assays is desirable.
- Familiarity with molecular modeling is a plus.
- Experience in biochemistry and cellular biology of metalloproteinases is a plus.
- Strong communication and organization skills, especially the ability to work across multiple scientific disciplines and functions.
- Managerial experience for one or more direct reports is highly desirable.
- Strong record of performance and scientific accomplishments as demonstrated by impactful contributions to the scientific community, pipeline contributions, peer reviewed publications and patent applications.