Associate Director, Scientific Patient Advocacy
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
Associate Director, Scientific AdvocacyThe Associate Director of Scientific Patient Advocacy is part of the medical affairs team and supports PCYC's commitment to build strong relationships with the patient advocacy communities in non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL) which includes Mantle cell lymphoma, Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia, Marginal zone lymphoma as well as Chronic graft versus host disease (cGVHD). This role requires the AD to work closely and align goals, objectives, and strategies with colleagues across communications, commercial, medical affairs, legal and compliance to ensure key regulatory/data milestones and activities are communicated with patient communities regionally and nationally.
- Maintain and enhance strategic relationships with leading patient advocacy and policy organizations. Direct activities based on business priorities and create mutually beneficial relationships. Represent PCYC at key patient advocacy and policy meetings and provide updated to management
- Develops and implements a patient advocacy strategy aligned with corporate and business goals and objectives
- Develops a proactive approach to managing and enhancing company's relationships with patient communities; builds strong, mutually productive relationships and provides compliant guidance to existing and/or evolving patient organizations
- Build strong, collaborative relationships with team members in communications, medical affairs, commercial, legal and compliance.
- Ensure cross-functional collaboration with medical, commercial, market access, sales and other key stakeholders to optimally manage relationships to ensure alignment and effective execution of patient advocacy strategy/objectives.
- Identifies, develops, and advances collaborative programs and initiatives with patient advocacy groups at the national level as well as finding local opportunities that forward mutual goals and establish PCYC as a preferred partner
- Routinely evaluates opportunities to enhance PCYC's visibility in relevant initiatives and build PCYC 's reputation for innovative partnerships
- Stays current with relevant information and resources regarding pharma related legislation; provides updates regularly to management
- Strategically manages budgets for sponsorships/grants to patient organizations
- Anticipates and recognizes patient advocacy/policy trends, and implications for PCYC
- Develops and applies evaluative metrics to programs and activities to monitor success
- Creates systems and procedures by which to track and internally communicate advocacy relations activities and successes across the company
- 10+ years' experience in pharmaceutical experience, 5 years of that experience with oncology (some patient advocacy preferred) or similar function/experience with a demonstrated track record of success
- Demonstrated understanding of industry and business priorities and concerns and the ability to translate business needs into tactical patient/disease advocacy plans and materials
- Demonstrated experience in implementing patient advocacy programs that drive business strategy and priorities and engage both internal and external stakeholders
- Project and budget management experience
- Established relationships within the oncology community desired
Outstanding oral and written communications and presentation skills
- Relationship builder with exceptional interpersonal and networking skills
- Ability to interact successfully and with confidence at all organizational levels, including senior leadership, and across a wide range of corporate functions
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail and prioritization
- Comfortable working within tight deadlines and managing multiple projects simultaneously
- Works collaboratively, independently and with a sense of urgency; able to prioritize areas of strategic importance to the company and to help articulate to senior management
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Collaborative problem solver who thinks outside the box
Remote (North East preferred)
30-40 percent travel within the continental US