Scientist I, Cell Biology
Company: Quartz Therapeutics, Inc.
Role Title: Scientist I, Cell Biology
Quartz Therapeutics is an early-stage precision oncology biotech currently in stealth mode and based in San Francisco, CA. Founded by world leaders in oncology drug discovery and medicinal chemistry, we are developing small molecule therapeutics against genetically-defined cancers that currently lack viable treatment options. We are highly collaborative and interdisciplinary team working at the interface between academia and industry. Quartz is a subsidiary of BridgeBio, a biotech holding company backed by private equity, hedge funds, and high net-worth individuals. We are a diverse team of chemists, biologists, drug developers and executives seeking passionate and motivated researchers to join our team.
We are seeking an innovative, collegial and experienced cell biologist to contribute to the overall success of our novel drug development program. Prior knowledge of the molecular mechanisms of cancer biology and existing approaches to cancer therapy is preferred but not essential. Working closely with our medicinal chemistry team the successful candidate will conduct and evaluate experiments to measure target engagement, pathway modulation and therapeutic efficacy of our lead compounds in preclinical cancer models. Working under the guidance of experienced mentors from academia and industry who are responsible for bringing numerous drugs to market the applicant will expand their scientific network and receive entrepreneurship and leadership training. This position will be responsible for the overall design and strategy to bring Quartz’s lead compound into the clinic.
Responsibilities & Functions:
- Developing assays to profile compounds using mechanistic and functional readouts in biochemical and cell-based assays
- Cell line engineering, testing, and characterization
- Collaborate closely with other functions within the organization including medicinal chemistry, pre-clinical pharmacology, and business development
- Present results at scientific conferences and publish in top-tier peer-reviewed journals
Preferred Education and Qualifications:
- PhD in biological sciences (cellular and molecular biology, chemical biology, bioengineering, etc.) with 0-2 years experience
- Experience with cell line engineer techniques including CRISPR, lentiviral transduction, cell sorting, conal selection, etc.
- Molecular techniques including but not limited to cloning, PCR, RT-PCR, western blotting
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description
- Highly collaborative with demonstrated ability to work in an interdisciplinary team
- High ethical standards and scientific integrity
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Prior experience working in a start-up environment is a plus
- Passion for bringing innovative medical treatments to patients with unmet needs