Postdoc - Postdoctoral Fellow - Development of Mass Spec Technologies to Interrogate Protein (Tau)
AbbVie is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. Together with its wholly-owned subsidiary, Pharmacyclics, AbbVie employs more than 28,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
At AbbVie, our vision is to be recognized as a biopharmaceutical company delivering a consistent stream of innovative medicines that solve serious health issues and have a remarkable impact on people's lives.
To be successful, we need outstanding individuals willing to challenge themselves to find the best solutions for our patients. The AbbVie Postdoc program is one way we are doing just that.
Through our Postdoc program, we are hiring postdocs from key academic institutions for preferred areas of science in the U.S. This also provides a unique opportunity for participants to build a solid career foundation in the pharmaceutical industry while building the AbbVie brand as an employer of choice for scientific talent.
The program offers a balance of structured learning and work experience along with accessibility to high-level knowledge building across the drug development continuum. This will give the participants the understanding of how everything fits together and is put into practice. It also provides them with a chance to establish working relationships with some of the world's most respected scientists and leaders in the industry.
Participants in the Postdoc program play an integral part in our continued success and will help us to further grow as a leader in our industry.
The Drug Metabolism, Pharmacokinetics and Bioanalysis group is focused on improving our understanding of the pathology and biology of the tau protein through the detection and quantitation of the different forms of tau in various biofluids. Alzheimer's disease is the main focus for AbbVie in Neurology, and the formation of neurofibrillary tangles by tau aggregates are regarded as the key driver of Alzheimer clinical symptoms. The objective of this fellowship is improve existing, and to develop new, analytical approaches to detect and quantitate the various forms of tau with high confidence and reproducibility, including proteoforms in brain, ISF, CSF and Plasma. This postdoctoral position is for 2 years and will be based at AbbVie in Lake County, IL.
Three major aims to this project
Aim 1 - Develop a deeper understanding of Tau biology by establishing methods to characterize and differentiate the various forms of tau including the post translational modifications and their effects on biological activities in models and human patients and determine the amount and types tau proteoforms found in brain, ISF, CSF and plasma.
Aim 2 - Develop improved analytical approaches to quantitate different forms of Tau in biofluids with high confidence and reproducibility.
Aim 3 - Define the synthesis and clearance rates in of tau in CSF, brain and plasma using the developed analytical capabilities.
Working with a team of analytical chemists, biologists, PKPD Modelers and DMPK Scientists to design and execute best “fit for purpose” analytical techniques and approaches to quantitate and characterize Tau isoforms in various biofluids/tissues to link individual subtypes of tau with neurodegenerative disease pathology.
· Understand current LC-MS and alternative methodologies to measure Tau proteins
· Enhance reproducibility and sensitivity of current methods, while exploring new analytical approaches/platforms for detection of Tau proteoforms
· Apply newly developed analytical tools to provide fundamental understanding of tau synthesis and degradation rates in brain, CSF and plasma to empower mathematical PKPD disease modeling efforts
· Successful completion and defense of a Ph.D with a background in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, pharmacology or related field
· Demonstrated skills in mass spectrometry, protein analytics, analysis of biofluids
· Proficient in data analysis, quantitative techniques, working in a matrix environment
· Familiarity with tau biology, systems biology, post-translational modifications of proteins
· Curriculum Vitae
· A narrative on why your academic training qualifies you for this position and why you have an interest in this position
· Three letters of recommendation, preferably one from your PI and at least one from a member of your thesis committee
· Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
Key AbbVie Competencies
· Builds strong relationships within and outside a team to enable higher performance
· Learns fast and grasps the “essence” of a result, and can change course quickly when indicated
· Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
· Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
· Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled