Medical Director, Latin America Area , Oncology
The Medical Director, Latin America Area , Oncology will provide medical/scientific strategic and operational input into core medical affairs activities and will provide relevant scientific and technical training to Area and Affiliate Therapeutic Area resources. In addition, he/she will represent the Area in key core Medical Affairs activities, such as: health-care professional/provider interactions (Payers, Patients, Prescribers, and Providers); generation of clinical and scientific data (enhancing therapeutic benefit and value); educational initiatives (medical education, data, guidelines and value proposition); safeguarding patient safety (risk minimization activities / safety surveillance activities).
In addition, the Area TA Lead will work closely with Area commercial teams to provide strategic medical input into core brand (product) strategies, and to support medical/marketing activities and market access; provide scientific and technical support for assigned products; deliver scientific presentations; develop and maintain professional and credible relationships with key opinion leaders; actively participate in relevant Brand Teams and helps develop medical affairs strategies for assigned products; and develop innovative research concepts for clinical data generation.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Develop area therapeutic strategy and bring insights and knowledge from the Areas into the development of the Global TA Medial Affairs strategy
- Provide consultation to affiliates on development of the affiliate therapeutic area strategy and bring insights and knowledge from the affiliates into the development of the Area Medial Affairs strategy
- Actively participate in relevant Brand Teams, provide strategic medical input into core brand (product) strategies and develop medical affairs strategies for assigned products
- Provide technical contribution on the generation of hypothesizes to be tested, method and design of Area research, trial execution and communication
- Oversees the conduct of Area clinical trials and is medically and scientifically accountable for resolution of safety issues, interpretation of statistical analyses for clinical significance, PI selection, safety monitoring, study reports and other communications of study results
- Provides technical consultation to affiliates in the development and method of evaluation of research hypotheses
- Educates on and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, regulatory, etc.)
- Provides training to Area and Affiliate cross-functional peers on therapeutic area topics, including on-boarding affiliates and cross-functional partners on therapeutic area topics
- May develop and execute medical education programs, advisories, and symposia
- Oversee scientific/medical education of investigators, clinical monitors for Area Trials. May provide support to Affiliate sponsored trials as warranted
- Keep abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resources
- Manages and conducts area external expert engagement and may represents AbbVie at external meetings including investigator meetings, scientific association meetings, etc.
- May serves as the scientific team representative for regulatory discussions
- Advanced education (e.g., PhD, PharmD, PA, NP) highly preferred. Residency or/+ post doc highly preferred
- Typically 10+ yrs experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent; substantial understanding of relevant therapeutic area required
- Management and leadership experience at project level, experience with strategic initiatives/issues
- Proven leadership skills in a cross-functional team environment. International experience a plus.
- Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy
- Ability to run a clinical study or medical affairs team independently with little supervision
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development strategy and the design of protocols
- Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled