Principal Scientist / Associate Director, BioProcess Development, Cell Culture
AbbVie in the Bay Area is seeking a Principal Scientist with cell culture development expertise to join the BioProcess team within the CMC organization. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at AbbVie in the Redwood City, CA location. Position Description: We are seeking an innovator in cell culture and bioreactor technologies. The successful candidate will provide technical guidance and direction to create technology and solutions for rapidly moving novel biologics into clinical trials. He or she will also direct the studies for robust cell culture processes to for GMP production. Responsibilities include:
- Develop work processes to improve efficiencies and communicate across groups.
- Develop rational to justify innovation and return of investment
- Motivate other scientists to effectively innovate, develop, optimize, and scale-up cell culture processes
- Advances scientific expertise within bioprocess group. Proactively demonstrates leadership by advising and sharing knowledge and expert opinions with subordinates, peers, and senior management.
- Transfer processes to GMP manufacturing site for clinical material production.
- Mentor and train junior scientists
- Lead cross-functional project teams
- Presents scientific concepts and results for functional scientific and non-scientific leaders.
- Work efficiently, collaboratively, and cross-functionally toward project timelines and goals
- Write and review technical publications, reports, presentations, and regulatory filings
- Doctorate (Ph.D.) degree in cell biology, chemical engineering, bioengineering, or a related field, with at least 8 years of experience
- Must have expertise in cell culture process development and scale up as supported by presentations or peer reviewed publications.
- Must be forward-thinking and be able to lead and contribute to scientific/technical discussions.
- Has strong communication skills including verbal, written, and scientific data presentation.
- Has good understanding of biochemistry and bioprocess engineering concepts.
- Has strategic thinking and work collaboratively within and outside of the bioprocess group
- Hands on experience with protein purification
- Demonstrated effective leadership in industrial setting is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled**Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled**