Senior Informatics Architect – Data Management
SerImmune, an early-stage start-up backed by Illumina Ventures and Merck is applying a unique immune repertoire characterization platform to map human immunity. We are seeking a Senior Informatics Architect – Data Management, versed in the design and implementation of bioinformatics tools, software, and databases in the life sciences. This individual will play a leading role in the company’s efforts to establish automated laboratory systems, high performance computing, and scientific software to reveal unique insights from the company’s proprietary databases and to reveal antigens from the environment, microbiome, and disease (including cancer), that drive immunity.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Perform business analysis to understand and document requirements of laboratory and computational scientists. Translate scientific and business requirements into software specifications for validation and testing.
- Work with scientists and software teams to iteratively implement systems to acquire, store, retrieve and analyze data from multiple sources of internal and external data.
- Design schema for large sequence repositories and develop efficient and scalable infrastructure for scientific queries and computation.
- Construct and maintain annotated repositories of internal and external data and knowledge for queries and the development of statistical models.
Minimum Qualifications (Must have):
- Ph.D. or M.S. degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, computational biology, molecular biology, genomics or related scientific field (or equivalent experience and depth).
- 5-10 years post-graduate experience in technology / life science environments.
- Experience with next-generation sequencing (NGS), proteomic, or genomic data.
- Solid knowledge of languages such as Python, Java, and/or C++, and high programming proficiency in a Unix/Linux environment.
- Ability to translate business and scientific needs into software requirements.
- Experience with laboratory workflow/LIMS development or implementation. Ability to critically analyze and review commercial software offerings.
- Experience with the acquisition, storage and retrieval and visualization of assay data.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Software validation experience in regulated environments (Pharma GxP, CLIA, etc).
- Experience in high performance computing and cloud computing (Hadoop/Spark) and microservices architecture.
- Knowledge of external sequence databases and resources.
- Experience with biomedical vocabulary systems and implementation.
- Office environment (Santa Barbara, CA or bay area)
- Prolonged periods of sitting, standing
- Must be able to lift and transport at least 25 pounds
- Ability to travel
SerImmune, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer
DISCLAIMER: The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities of an employee to this job.