Senior Scientist- Drug Discovery
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
SENIOR SCIENTIST – DRUG DISCOVERY
We are currently seeking a qualified, highly motivated individual for the position of Senior Scientist in our Cardio-Metabolic-Renal Drug Discovery group. The successful candidate will be a strategic member of a fast-paced and interactive research task force evaluating antisense therapeutics for renal disease indications.
- Conception, planning, design, execution and troubleshooting of experiments to support preclinical evaluation of antisense compounds and their transition into clinical development
- Characterization of pharmacological responses to antisense compounds in various in vitro assays and preclinical animal models of renal pathophysiology
- Application of genetic, molecular biological, biochemical, and imaging tools to evaluate renal sub-organ distribution of antisense compounds
- Publish results from studies in top-tier journals and assist in preparation of manuscripts and other documents
- Present findings at both internal and external scientific meetings to further renal research program strategic objectives
- Other duties as assigned
- PhD preferred; BS or MS considered with extensive work experience
- Work experience: 10 years (BS); 5 years (MS); or 2 years post-doctoral (PhD)
- Experience with animal handling is required
- Demonstrated publication record (1st author)
- Solid experience with commonly used laboratory techniques including RT-PCR, Western Blots, and ELISAs and ability to optimize new techniques independently
- In-depth experience with sub-organ fractionation and imaging techniques such as laser-capture micro dissection, FACS, and confocal microscopy
- Familiarity with in vivo models of acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease, hypertension, and diabetes is highly desirable
- Experience with primary and immortalized cell lines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to critically interpret experimental results and independently identify next steps
- Ability to be productive and successful in a fast paced and intense work environment
- Proven success in driving personal projects while actively participating in the achievement of team goals
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition #18-0096
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.