US Formalities Patent Paralegal
Provides patent prosecution support to a team of intellectual property attorneys. The US Formalities Patent Paralegal will prepare patent filing and prosecution documents, including electronic filing documents at the USPTO. Filing related documents in foreign patent offices may sometimes be required. The US Formalities Paralegal will monitor docket deadlines and take the initiative to ensure deadlines are met. Suitable candidates must adapt to shifting priorities and short timelines. Strict attention to detail and deadlines is critical.
Key Job Responsibilities:
- Prepares and files all legal documents and correspondence associated with patent application preparation, filing and prosecution for submission to USPTO, foreign patent offices and outside counsel. Ensures that documents are complete, accurate and organized.
- Prepare and files Information Disclosure Statements (IDS) with the USPTO, including assembling references and preparing forms.
- Prepares and attends to legalization of assignments and power of attorney documents; ensures formality requirements are met for each patent case.
- Retrieves documents from Lexis, USPTO PAIR System, WIPO and EPO website.
- Collaborates with colleagues to problem solve, locate information, find answers and is solution-oriented.
- Communicates project status and updates to relevant stakeholders.
- Prepares and issues standard reporting letters as instructed.
- Coordinates and maintains departmental files (both paper and electronic), as assigned, in compliance with corporate and government regulations.
- Prepares and files sequence listings for patent applications.
- Uses and understands Microsoft Office Suite and other business-specific software, including the Corporate Travel Web site, and employee performance management systems (as applicable).
- Prefer Associates Degree. H.S. diploma required. Paralegal Certificate preferred.
- 2+ year's previous experience as a paralegal. Patent experience preferred.
- Operates with general instruction and limited supervision.
- Experience with the USPTO EFS is preferred.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, and Visio.
- Intermediate knowledge of document management systems, such as iManage.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of patent docketing systems, such as IPManager.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled