The Automation Specialist will work in the Automation Engineering team supporting and validating Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) equipment and liquid handling instruments for our commercial laboratories. The Automation Engineer I will write and update maintenance SOPs & validation protocols as well as contribute to improving automation practices and procedures. He/she will utilize statistical techniques to perform complex data analysis. A successful Automation Specialist will understand projects in the context of the overall process, provide input to project management and will be integral to their success by taking a cross-functional leadership role in providing automation expertise from project conception to its completion.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide service support for NGS equipment, including troubleshooting, routine maintenance and calibration
- Provide service support for Hamilton and Beckman Coulter liquid handling instruments, including troubleshooting, routine maintenance and calibration
- Develop, validate and support automated methodologies and equipment for manufacturing operations
- Expand, refine, and support automated methodologies and equipment in a leading molecular diagnostic laboratory
- Provide input to interdisciplinary project teams for project planning and timeline completion
- May act as a mentor to Automation Engineering Technicians and Associates
- Provide training to users for new methods, new user training, and for entry level Automation Engineering Technicians and Associates
- Provide after hours and weekend operations support for automated equipment
- BS in Chemistry or Life Sciences
- A minimum 5 years of experience working with NGS, liquid handling, and other automated instrumentation.
- Proven mastery of programming environments and support on numerous instrument platforms (i.e., Hamilton, Beckman, Tecan, or Agilent). This includes the ability to provide advanced technical support and error recovery as well as identifying creative solutions to software or hardware failures.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of scientific principles; strong analytical and troubleshooting skills required
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in a MS Office, general purpose programming languages (e.g. VB/VBA, Python, Perl, R, C++), and NGS related software and computational tools.
- Experience working in a regulated laboratory environment. Including the following; design control, performing verification and validation studies and experience with process development.
- Experience working on interdisciplinary teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required; experience writing Standard Operating Procedures and other technical reports strongly preferred.
We provide Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending and Dependent Care, Commuter Accounts, 401(k) match, 3 weeks of vacation, 5 days sick leave, 1 personal floating holiday, 9 paid holidays, gym reimbursement, yoga onsite, ping pong, foosball, BBQ’s, social hours, and more!