Bioinformatician (All levels)
At GenapSys we are working to change the world of healthcare and diagnostics. Our team brings together an incredibly diverse and multidisciplinary set of backgrounds and skills – from software developers, data scientists, electrical and mechanical engineers, to physicists, chemists, microfluidic engineers, molecular biologists, mathematicians and more. Together we will advance scientific and medical knowledge and improve human health through cheaper, faster, and more accurate DNA sequencing technologies.
We’re on the hunt for talented and organized team players to join our fast-paced startup as a Bioinformatician. We are looking for an eager and enthusiastic person who can dive into multiple tasks and take on many responsibilities. Specifically, we are looking for a bioinformatics scientist ready to develop, maintain, and evolve novel next-generation sequence analysis software and pipelines with a focus on run assessment, data quality, knowledge integration, data interpretation, hypothesis generation and testing, as well as common sequence alignment algorithms/tools and NGS applications. Demonstrable experience using data mining and analysis tools to identify dominant patterns in next-generation sequence datasets to diagnose instrument performance. If these challenges seem exciting and you fit the requirement outlined below - please apply!
- Perform detailed bioinformatics analysis including reference genome alignment, targeted sequencing, mapping, annotation and variant calling using a variety of datasets generated by the Genius platform as well as other NGS systems
- Develop comprehensive bioinformatic analysis solutions for the Genius data
- Analyze sequencing datasets to assess the quality of experimental data and provide feedback to signal processing and algorithm teams for further improvement
- Monitor data integrity and quality and alert team members when inconsistencies arise and help troubleshoot the problem
- Hands-on experience with bioinformatics methods appropriate for NGS applications (RNASeq, CHiPSeq, genome resequencing, targeted sequencing, and de novo genome assembly)
- Hands-on experience with genome alignment, mapping, variant calling and annotation
- Deep understanding of next-generation sequence sequencing methods, quality scores, and their interpretation
- Experience with open source bioinformatics tools
- Experience designing and developing research and/ or production grade bioinformatics pipeline solutions for NGS applications
- Prior experience in a NGS company or research lab is a plus
- Experience in building a bioinformatics team is a plus
- Prior experience in developing NGS pipelines is a plus
- Demonstrated experience in one or more programming languages and databases: Python, R, Bash, SQL
- PhD or MS in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Computational Biology or a related field with 3+ years’ experience
- Ability to work collaboratively with primary analysis team, software developers, and the pipeline team
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive compensation and stock options
- Anthem Blue Cross PPO and Kaiser Medical (including for dependents)
- Excellent Dental and Vision through Guardian
- Fully sponsored Life, Short and Long-term Disability insurance
- FSA, 401(k) retirement plan
- Stocked kitchen and beverages, daily catered gourmet lunches
- Weekly Fancy High Tea and Happy Hours
- Free complex onsite gym membership
- Learning and growth opportunities
At GenapSys, we are developing a DNA-sequencing technology that will revolutionize the world of healthcare. Our system will enable fast, accurate, and ultra-low cost genetic tests in order to better understand (and ultimately treat) genetic diseases such as Cancer, Parkinson’s, Diabetes, and Alzheimer's, just to name a few. GenapSys was founded by Dr. Hesaam Esfandyarpour, and incubated over 6 years (2004-2010) at Stanford University. The company was incorporated in early 2010 and is funded by leading firms in both venture and institutional capital. We have built an incredible team of scientists, engineers, and business professionals – join our team and be part of the adventure!
GenapSys, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Just a Note
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: Genapsys does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Genapsys employee. Genapsys will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Genapsys.