Associate Director, Project Management
Pharmacyclics is committed to the development and commercialization of novel therapies intended to improve the quality and duration of life and to resolve serious unmet medical needs for cancer patients. Pharmacyclics is a wholly-owned subsidiary of AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV), a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in more than 200 clinical trials for over 20 different types of cancer.
More than 1,200 Pharmacyclics and AbbVie research scientists, clinicians, marketing, operations and corporate professionals work in the San Francisco Bay Area. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. Together, we are striving to outsmart cancer.
We are seeking an Associate Director of Project Management who will serve as a strategic partner on cross-functional strategy and life cycle management team(s), working closely with team lead(s) to drive cross-functional alignment, planning for, and generation of team deliverables. This position will report into the Head of Project, Portfolio, and Alliance Management and be located in the Sunnyvale office of Pharmacyclics.
Key Accountabilities/Core Job Responsibilities
- Drives and contributes to Integrated Brand Team(s) strategies and aligned execution
- Serves as a core member of one or several Integrated Brand Team(s) and coordinates IBT activities and deliverables
- Partners with IBT team lead(s) and cross-functional team to develop and present disease-specific brand strategy for late stage pipeline / marketed asset(s)
- Ensures clear translation of asset strategy to integrated execution plans across functions
- Drives creation and maintenance of functionally integrated project timelines with clearly defined activities, interdependencies, duration, task owners and planning assumptions
- Ensures accurate project inputs are provided into business planning processes;
- Works closely with team to identify and manage the activities which are on critical path and the critical activities that have the potential to become critical path activities
- Actively tracks the progress of the deliverables and works with the team to create reports and trackers to ensure clear and transparent communication to key stakeholders
- Partners with the IBT lead to drive cross-functional IBT effectiveness
- Drives cross-functional alignment within the IBT and structures IBT discussions to drive good decision-making practices
- Supports high performing IBT through monitoring and assessing the team's performance
- Actively shares learning and collaborates with other IBT PM leads to apply best practices to supported IBTs
- Accountable for helping IBT navigate the governance process effectively and efficiently and appropriate use of each forum
- Manages relationship with our external Alliance partner(s) to ensure alignment on strategy and execution within the supported disease area(s)
- Facilitates regular joint Working Group meetings
- Pro-actively identify potential issues and works with our partner(s) and internal stakeholders to resolve, leveraging our Alliance Governance and/or other forums as appropriate
- Collaborates closely with other members of the PMO to ensure timely advancement of the portfolio and organizational objectives
- Proficiency with common project management tools, practices, methodology, and MS Project.
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritize and coordinate multiple tasks and adjust to changing priorities to deliver results to tight deadlines
- Ability to think critically, interpret regulations and/or standards, apply them to changes and determine resulting course of actions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, ability to develop important relationships with customers and key stakeholders, good conflict management skills.
- Ability to interface successfully with all levels of internal organization and external partners is required.
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills including negotiation, managing meetings and group dynamics, ability to balance concerns of line management with objectives of cross functional team
- Strong knowledge and understanding of global drug product development
- Ability to rationalize both strategically and tactically and be able to present recommendations to senior leaders and key stakeholders
- Bachelor's degree in science with preferred graduate level or related degrees (MS, MBA, PhD)
- 8+ years project management experience with large cross-functional teams
- 5+ years project management experience in cross-functional across clinical development including late stage assets up to regulatory filings in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry
- Commercial project management experience a plus
- Demonstrated experience using standard program management tools and software including integrated development plans, timelines, risk management, budget development and monitoring
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification a plus
- Oncology/Heme-Onc experience a plus
- Must have good understanding of Project Management governance best practices