Senior Research Associate
Summary / Overall Purpose
We seek a senior research associate with specific expertise in microbiology to perform duties related to the culture, susceptibility testing, and genetic modification of bacterial species per established protocols. Specific duties will include bacterial culture (including BSL2, drug-resistant candidates), MIC/MBC determination, standard molecular biology manipulations (transduction, purification, PCR). Will also be responsible for new assay development and establishing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
Essential/Primary Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
- Bacterial cell culture (BSL1 and drug-resistant BSL2 strains)
- Standard microbiological sensitivity assays (MIC, MBC) with both spectrophotometric and colony forming unit (CFU) readouts
- Standard molecular biology manipulations: cloning, PCR, transduction, purification of DNA
- Independently identifies and implements new assays and assay technologies that have an impact on project workstream, assay throughput and/or performance
- Independently designs, executes, and performs basic analysis of experiments, including independent troubleshooting.
- Prepares detailed SOPs that enable transfer of validated assays to project team members and collaborators
- Reporting of results to supervisor and internally at group meetings
- Other duties as assigned, including the management of laboratory equipment and supplies and interfacing with vendors.
MS: Minimum 5 years experience in academic or industrial setting, minimum 3 years in industry
BS: Minimum 8 years experience in academic or industrial setting, minimum 3 years in industry
Management of Staff
Functional/Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Bacterial cell culture
- Standard MIC, MBC sensitivity assays in bacteria
- Routine molecular biology techniques: PCR, DNA purification, transduction, cloning
- Experience evaluating and implementing new techniques.
B.S. or MS in biology, biochemistry, molecular biology, microbiology or closely related field
- Work collaboratively with multi-disciplinary groups in a fast-paced work environment
- Able to work independently on experimental design, execution, and analysis
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and track record of ability to effectively present scientific data
- Detail oriented; proven track record of detailed, reproducible protocol generation that can be broadly reproduced
- Positive attitude
- Keeps calm under pressure
- Some weekend work may be required