Safety & Facilities Coordinator
The Gladstone Institutes is an independent, not-for-profit research institution affiliated with the University of California San Francisco (UCSF), transforming the health and well-being of all people through medical research, education, and outreach in the fields focused on heart disease, immunology and virology including HIV/AIDS, and neurological disease. Home to notable leaders in the field of medical science, including 2012 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine recipient Shinya Yamanaka, M.D.,Ph.D. Gladstone is comprised of its three institutes in addition to various Centers and programs focusing approximately 500 members of our team on its mission: Science Overcoming Disease. Located in an award-winning building adjacent to UCSF's Mission Bay Campus, Gladstone offers a competitive salary and benefits program within a robust environment for those seeking to maximize their potential. Please consider Gladstone and make a difference in human health.
The Gladstone Facilities team is seeking a Safety & Facilities Coordinator who will be responsible for ensuring that Gladstone Safety policies and procedures are complete and current. S/he will serve as a liaison between UCSF EH&S and Gladstone laboratory and administrative personnel, organize and run Safety Team meeting, and coordinate and implement all pertinent training as needed. S/he will assist the Facilities team with daily duties as needed, conduct hazard assessments in both laboratories and administrative departments, and will report to the Director of Facilities.
- Serve as a liaison between UCSF EH&S officials and Gladstone Laboratory personnel, and as such, review information provided to PIs and Laboratory supervisors related to health and safety requirements, and assist with implementation of workplace practices and procedures, training, and personal protective equipment.
- Review, develop, update and implement appropriate safety policies and procedures. Review existing scientific protocols to understand the existing hazards.
- Support compliance with safety rules and provide support to Gladstone Safety Committee representatives from each laboratory and administrative department.
- Perform hazard assessments in laboratories and administrative departments.
- Collaborate with Institute Lab Aides on glassware policy and bio-hazard waste streams. Assist with issues involving bio-safety, radiation, lasers, chemicals, and other hazardous materials and procedures.
- Review Accident/Incident Reporting forms and OSHA logs maintained in Human Resources.
- Annually review and update Gladstone's Injury & Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) and Emergency Procedures guide. Assist Facilities Department in the (annual) evacuation drill, and work to continually update Institute-wide Emergency Response policies and procedures.
- Attend and lead quarterly Gladstone Safety Committee Meetings, after first reviewing history and guidelines/framework for the Safety Committee. Gather input from departments and past meetings to develop meeting agendas, update the committee on activities over the quarter, and serve as technical support to the committee, including writing and distributing meeting minutes, and supervising Action Items delegated to committee members.
- Incorporate monthly and annual training As Needed, ranging from CPR and First Aid Training, ergonomics, safety training for custodial staff, chemical spill procedures, and other safety related issues.
- Coordinate with Lab Aides institute-wide on various tasks as assigned.
- Under the direction of Facilities Team, help coordinate projects for facilities, including laboratories and offices. Projects may include, but are not limited to, remodeling of offices/labs, coordinating equipment relocations and maintenance schedules, and management of equipment storage inventory systems.
- Assist building engineers with annual Preventive Maintenance duties as needed.
- Bachelors degree in Life Sciences
- 2 years experience in a science, medical-related discipline or safety position
- Experience within the Safety Field and Biotech Industry is highly desirable
- Experience in a facilities environment is also desired
Licensing and Certifications (preferred):
Hazmat Technician Certification (Emergency response, chemical spill, first aid/AED & CPR), Certified Ergonomic Evaluation Specialist, OSHA (general industry and health certification)