Senior Research Associate/Supervisor
Want to use your experience to help save lives? Here’s the chance for you to make this a reality. Vium empowers biomedical investigators with technology that accelerates the preclinical drug discovery and development pipeline. Researchers can design, run, and analyze experiments that rapidly surface insights and high volumes of quality data. The platform improves the speed and reproducibility of preclinical research so that it is more predictive of how drugs perform in humans. The result is that better therapies get moved more quickly to patients who need them. Founded in 2013, we have a proven product, an awesome team, happy clients, smart investors and advisors, and plans to double in 2018 and beyond.
The Senior Research Associate will provide in vivo support to preclinical research efforts, including but not limited to the conduct of technical procedures, data collection, treatment, health monitoring and husbandry of laboratory rodents. This position must deliver a significant body of results that demonstrates effective time management, understanding of key project needs, while prioritizing own work and work of others in most impactful areas.
- Prioritize own schedule and split time between active preclinical study participation and management / leading of RA staff.
- Plans, coordinates, and evaluates the work of multiple staff.
- Trains new RA’s in basic techniques, tools, and equipment.
- Prepares and gives oral presentations describing procedures or experimental results.
- May establish new procedures / methods as needed to address project goals.
- Accurately and effectively communicate progress in written and verbal form.
- Work with the team in developing, implementing, and refining an advanced technology platform.
- Recommend changes in operational procedures and workflow that increases the efficiency or effectiveness of work practices, or improve animal welfare.
- As required, actively participate in the directional planning, design and execution of in vivo studies in collaboration with investigators.
- Perform technical duties such as in vivo dosing of different animal models via various techniques including intramuscular, intravenous, intradermal, subcutaneous, and oral routes.
- Collect blood and tissues for analysis and interface with contracted laboratory vendors.
- Responsible for observing health conditions of animals, recognizes and reports common signs of clinical illness and/or irregularities in animal behavior.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and detailed experimental and animal health records (including electronic records).
- Perform routine calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Perform routine animal husbandry, daily animal health checks, and general facility maintenance in animal, procedure, and support rooms.
- Perform daily health assessments of study animals and technical experimental procedures as directed.
- Specialized knowledge – at minimum 3 years of relevant experience (minimum 2 years with Bachelor’s Degree) to include the demonstrated ability to provide guidance and direction to others effectively and/or demonstrated experience in preclinical study management and monitoring. Solid understanding of preclinical processes and timelines, with ability to accurately scheduled and allocate resources accordingly.
- Ability to read/write and specifically write and evaluate scientific data. Mathematical and reasoning skills required. Record of strong communication and organizational skills. Experience in supervisory role preferred.
- Ability to plan, multi-task, prioritize, communicate, problem-solve.
- Other characteristics such as personal characteristics – Patient, positive and supportive attitude. Demonstrates and fosters teamwork beyond department or group.
- Professional Certification – ALAT and above preferred.
- BS in a life science or related field of study.
More About Our Culture:
- We’re a group of talented individuals across multiple disciplines, coming together to deliver great engineering!
- Say what we’ll do and then do it! As a growing team, we’ve increased collaboration between roles of development and operations
- Have an attitude of shared responsibility and value building quality into the development process.
- Have a wide range of interests, which is why we’re in this company in the first place.
- Are focused on results more than hours-in-a-chair-at-the-office.
- Have great values and sense of community, while encouraging growth.
- Love what we do and love being part of a team that rewards trying new things.
What We Offer:
- Good salaries and benefits. Who doesn’t want that?
- Stock options
- Catered lunch most days and a fully stocked kitchen with healthy snacks and delicious drinks (Hungry anyone?)
- Flexible work hours and Friday demo days/happy hours
- Relaxed office in San Mateo with a casual environment
- Company teambuilding days, fun parties, including a week in the Summer when we close up shop and go on vacation
Our corporate office is in San Mateo and the remote-controlled lab is in the South Bay.