Director of Protein Engineering
Position Summary: Aeglea BioTherapeutics, based in Austin Texas is actively recruiting for a Director of Protein Engineering to support the Inborn Errors of Metabolism (IEM) and Oncology pipeline. The candidate will be responsible for the advancement of Aeglea’s human enzyme engineering efforts focused on the identification of modified human enzymes with activities which have the potential to address areas of high unmet medical need. The candidate will collaborate with our integrated clinical and research team and our manufacturing group to:
- Drive the identification and progression of new enzyme programs,
- Expedite a drug candidate’s advancement via efficient design, planning and implementation of engineering strategies for different enzyme scaffolds.
The successful individual will be tasked with the development of a multi-disciplinary protein engineering group, and it is anticipated that the successful candidate will be entrepreneurial, playing an important leadership role in shaping the foundations of the research infrastructure and culture of the Research organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the following:
- Execute on the discovery and clinical translation of candidate molecules focused on the treatment of IEM and oncology into clinical candidates
- Evaluate new enzyme scaffolds and produce new lead and clinical candidate molecules through establishing engineering strategies to optimize substrate specificity, activity, expression and manufacturing readiness
- Clearly articulate engineering project flow schemes, timelines and resource needs for research programs
- Where necessary integrate cellular screening approaches into engineering strategies
- Ensure seamless integration between protein engineering and downstream expression, purification and protein analytical processes
- Engineer time extension technologies into candidate programs, and where necessary work with external companies to efficiently integrate such time extension approaches
- Assume responsibility for direct reports through recruiting, training, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff
- Effectively manage both internal and external work, including interactions with technical and administrative staff at CROs or external vendors to deliver high quality results in a fast-paced environment
- Engage the external environment through thought leadership and visible and active engagement with key opinion leaders, professional societies, and academic
- Keep abreast of relevant literature and new approaches to protein engineering
- Demonstrates fiscal responsibility with respect to cost of experiments, technology, external collaborations, and travel
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education/Experience: The ideal candidate will:
- PhD in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or Molecular Biology
- 10+ years Industry experience with a track record of delivering modified engineered enzymes
- Experience in high throughput protein mutagenesis screening approaches to explore structure activity relationships
- Offer a record of leading a research group to meet the objectives of the discovery research organization
- Possess and exhibit advanced knowledge of drug discovery and development. Applies independent judgment and direction to design, execute and interpret experiments in the pursuit of high quality engineered protein therapeutic molecules
- Model expectations of quality, innovative science as applied to discovering new protein therapeutic medicines
- Exhibit a record of effective people leadership and talent development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of application of various computational predictive methods to expedite the optimization of enzyme scaffolds
- Track record of delivering engineered protein therapeutic molecules that have successfully achieved IND success is preferable but not essential
- Experience with integration of time extension technologies into candidate programs
- Strong track record of publishing scientific work
- Ability to plan and perform experiments with minimal supervision in a manner consistent with the timeline and objectives of ongoing Research Projects
- Ability to select appropriate methods and techniques to perform experiments, and analyze data
- Ability to independently interpret experimental outcomes and recognize anomalous results
- Highly motivated, seeking scientific and personal development; keen to learn and apply new techniques and technologies
- Experience in working with research biologists in their assessment and implementation of vivo models is preferable but not essential
- Ability to effectively communicate and work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Must have strong communication skills and be willing to hold both internal and external teams/vendors accountable for on time deliverables of reagents, data and reports.
- Highly motivated with excellent problem-solving abilities
- Breadth and flexibility to adapt to changing project needs
Work Environment: Aeglea is a fast-paced small organization where success is driven by innovative, initiative driven and high energy individuals. The ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment is critical. Willingness to travel domestically and internationally on occasion is required, it is anticipated that this will be less than 20% of work time.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The above job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as assigned by their supervisor.
We recognize that our commitment to patients only comes to life when employees are a priority, as well. This translates into our culture and our generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision coverage, a 401(k) program as well as an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP). And we know that sometimes, it’s the small things that can really make a difference. Our employee perks include a corporate gym reimbursement program, an assortment of provided snacks, weekly free lunches and social hour.
We are looking for exceptional individuals who connect with our credo, bring tremendous skills and talent with their experience, and are willing to roll up their sleeves and work hard to change the lives of patients. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you.
About Aeglea: Aeglea BioTherapeutics, Inc. is an Austin, TX based biotechnology company committed to developing engineered human enzymes for the treatment of rare diseases and cancers associated with abnormal amino acid metabolism. The company’s recombinant human enzymes are designed to degrade specific amino acids in the blood in order to reduce toxic levels of amino acids in in rare diseases or to starve tumors dependent on amino acids by reducing levels below the normal range. Aeglea’s clinical program for its lead product candidate, AEB1102, includes three recently initiated Phase 1 clinical trials, studying AEB1102 for the treatment of patients with Arginase I deficiency as well as patients with solid tumors or hematological malignancies. The company is building a pipeline of additional product candidates targeting key amino acids, including AEB4104, which degrades homocystine, a target for an inborn error of metabolism, as well as two potential treatments for cancer, AEB3103, which degrades cysteine/cystine, and AEB2109, which degrades methionine.