Senior/Staff Scientist – NGS Product/Process Development
10x is seeking an outstanding Senior or Staff Scientist to join the Process Development team to lead the development and technology transfer effort on new products or processes as they move through the product pipeline. This is a unique cross-disciplinary position that will work closely with a variety of groups including Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Microfluidics, QC, and Manufacturing, to develop and validate reagents or processes for the rapid expansion of 10X product lines. Candidates must have a broad working knowledge of molecular biology, organic chemistry, or analytical chemistry and be able to apply that knowledge creatively toward the development of novel NGS related workflows. The successful applicant will have exceptional attention to detail and the ability to meticulously execute and analyze highly complex experiments.
Individuals applying for this position must be self-starters, strategic thinkers, action driven, flexible in changing direction and methods, thrive in a fast paced environment, excel at managing multiple priorities, succeed in communicating with all levels within the organization and provide immediate contribution.
- Drive the technology transfer phase of new products as they move from R&D into Manufacturing in preparation for commercial launch.
- Develop, characterize and optimize a broad range of chemistry based production processes.
- Independently develop novel reagents for NGS workflows in areas such as reverse transcription, amplification, and ligation.
- Design and conduct experiments to determine underlying reaction mechanisms, cause and effect, failure modes, guard band studies and optimization using DOE methodologies.
- Develop and implement novel QC methods to ensure processes are in control.
- Independently troubleshooting formulation and QC issues.
Required Skills and Background
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in molecular biology, organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, microbiology, chemical engineering, or related fields.
- 5+ years relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in product or process development. (Senior Scientist)
- 8+ years relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience in product or process development. (Staff Scientist)
- Demonstrated record of successful technology transfer from early R&D concepts into customer-facing products.
- Solid understanding of a wide variety NGS library preparation workflows, molecular biology and analytical techniques including PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, PAGE, flow cytometry, HPLC, molecular cloning, gene editing, ELISA, and nucleic acid isolation and manipulation.
- Strong Process Transfer experience demonstrating control of manufacturing processes through appropriate Process Design and QC methods.
- Ability to integrate a broad range of scientific and engineering disciplines.
- Ability to design meaningful experiments and perform in-depth analysis of results.
- Experience developing and implementing novel QC methods to assess reagent performance in both functional and orthogonal assays.
- Proven ability to write SOPs and train others to successfully perform the work.
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Desire to work in a flexible and fast-paced startup environment
Desired Skills and Background
- Experience using statistical tools, such as JMP to analyze complex data sets.
- Experience operating liquid handling robots and other laboratory automation tools.
- Previous work with custom reagent vendors and setting up OEM relationships.