Head of Capital Projects
Zymergen is a fast growing company in search of a Head of Capital Projects to lead the build out of our corporate headquarters in Emeryville, CA. The Head of Capital Projects will be responsible for building the capabilities of a capital projects and project management organization, providing direct management of capital projects, and provide oversight and governance over a portfolio of projects. The scope of projects will include office, laboratory, manufacturing, and infrastructure projects. The candidate will be responsible for the entire project lifecycle, including inception, execution, and close-out.
- Develop and present executive updates for our capital project portfolio.
- Develop and maintain systems, processes, and procedures for planning, initiating, executing, and closing out capital projects
- Develop project controls systems for monitoring and measuring progress, project governance, schedule, quality, and KPIs
- Responsible for all phases of the capital project lifecycle, including office, laboratory, manufacturing, and infrastructure projects.
- Project planning including: economic and feasibility analysis, business case development, conceptual and schematic design, cost estimating, scope development, project execution planning and preparation of requests for capital expenditure.
- Project execution including: detail design, preparation of equipment specifications, procurement, cost and schedule control, commissioning, qualification, and start-up.
- Project portfolio governance – provide oversight and governance to a portfolio of concurrent projects, including long range planning and multiyear portfolio planning
- Participates in equipment and system start-up and commissioning activities. Supervises internal and external resources during all phases of commissioning execution.
- Lead internal cross-functional project team
- Manages and monitors the activities of external engineering, construction managers and contractors working on capital projects.
- Meet regularly with key stakeholders to understand business needs and develop supply/demand data for management review.
- Perform administrative and technical work in conducting short and long range facility space and master planning, work flow analysis, space and facility usage.
- Partner with IT, Automation, and Process Engineering to lead efforts in design and implementation of critical equipment.
- Partner with Finance to regularly update forecast versus cash senarios, update asset dates, and identify financial risks.
- Work closely with HR to ensure allocation of workspace for all new hires and existing employees.
- Ensure compliance with local/state/federal/country/regional regulations.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment by enforcing EH&S procedures and GMP regulations (as applicable).
- Bachelors’ degree in Construction Management or Engineering required.
- At least 8 years of experience with at least 4 years’ experience in a laboratory or manufacturing environment.
- Combination of education and experience that provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, including architectural and design experience.
- Knowledge of the development and use of contracts, estimates, and specifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Self-motivated team leader with extensive experience in all phases of Engineering Architecture, and Planning.
- Strong analytical, organizational and decision-making skills,
- Familiarity with building systems, codes and ADA requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Applications and Auto CAD
- Strong interpersonal skills required to establish and maintain positive relationships with Zymergen collegues
- Must exercise rapid learning ability, attention to detail, excellent computer skills, excellent communication skills, team player, organized analytical thinker with a high level of energy and self-motivation, excellent writing skills.