Senior Scientist I, Immunology
As leading experts in autoimmune diseases and therapies, at Abbvie Discovery Immunology organization we focus on investigating novel solutions to help improve patient care across a variety of autoimmune diseases with unmet needs. We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Scientist at our Foundational Immunology department based in Worcester, MA.
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with a PhD in immunology with in-depth scientific knowledge of innate immune cell biology (myeloid cells) in inflammatory bowel diseases and other autoimmune disorders. The position offers a unique opportunity for a talented scientist to work in a dynamic, innovative, and multi-disciplinary environment to develop their career at the interface of basic research and early drug discovery.
The scientist will be responsible for conceptualization, developing study design, execution and analysis with the overall aim of promoting innovative science. The position requires ability to work independently, have excellent technical, written and oral communication skills and work very well in a collaborative team environment. You should also have a proven publication record revealing scientific excellence.
- BS, MS or PhD in Immunology or related field with typically 10+ (BS), 8+ (MS), or 0+ (PhD) years of experience.
- Expertise in innate immune cell biology in inflammatory bowel diseases and/or other autoimmune disorders.
- Strong background in cellular immunology, preferably with area of expertise in inflammatory bowel disease and other autoimmunity
- Familiar with experimental animal models for autoimmune and chronic inflammatory diseases.
- Spends ~ 85-90% of time in laboratory to propose novel targets, design and implement various experiments to generate pre-clinical proof-of-concept and generate data package to enable advancement of early targets into our immunology portfolio.
- Extensive hands on experience in isolation (Magnetic separation) and manipulation of primary immune cells from human and mouse blood or tissues (preferably gut, spleen, lymph node), immunological phenotyping of subsets of immune cells.
- Experience in in vitro Dendritic cell, B cell and T cell functional assays such as in vitro DC differentiation, antigen presentation assay, T cell proliferation assay, CTL assay, T cell polarization assays.
- Proficient in multi-color flow cytometry-both handling flow cytometer (Fortessa, Canto, MACS Quant, and LSR) and independently analyzing the data using analytical software such as FlowJo is required. Confocal microscopy and Amnis Image stream experience is a plus.
- Basic immunological and molecular biology assay skills: Tissue culture, Transfection, ELISA, Western blot, immunoprecipitaion, ELISPOT, intracellular cytokine analysis, Luciferase assay.
- The candidate should be energetic and inspirational, with communication skills that enable him/her to be persuasive to a broad and heterogeneous group of stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with peers
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the team to enable high performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the “essence” and can change the course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.