Senior Scientist I, Cellular/Molecular Biology
AbbVie (NYSE:ABBV) is a global, research-based biopharmaceutical company formed in 2013 following separation from Abbott Laboratories. The company's mission is to use its expertise, dedicated people and unique approach to innovation to develop and market advanced therapies that address some of the world's most complex and serious diseases. AbbVie employs approximately 29,000 people worldwide and markets medicines in more than 170 countries.
We are seeking a highly motivated and creative PhD. Scientist to join the AbbVie Global Biologics Discovery organization. This individual will provide dedicated support to AbbVie's program on aging and age-related diseases.
The successful candidate will be part of an exciting and fast-paced team working with cross-disciplinary groups both internally and externally to develop biochemical and cellular functional assays with a primary focus on metabolic diseases and biology of aging.
The ideal candidate will be creative, goal oriented and prepared to be immersed in a fast-paced and innovative environment that offers the opportunity to work and publish.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Design, develop, evaluate and implement well-controlled in vitro or ex vivo cellular assays to address target biology and drug biology
- Apply knowledge in signal transduction to develop cellular functional assays for the screening of therapeutic candidate
- Collaborate with the broader scientific team to design and execute experiments advancing the understanding of target biology and establishing the pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and safety of lead candidates
- Critically analyze and summarize experimental data from multiple sources and disciplines to generate the necessary data package supporting drug candidate development decisions
- Engage colleagues in cross-disciplinary scientific discussion, present scientific data to internal and external audiences and publish research in peer-reviewed journals
- Keep accurate electronic records of experiments and activities, timely report experimental results
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- (Preferred) PhD degree in biological sciences with 0-3+ years of relevant experience in academic or biotech/pharmaceutical industry setting - open to Master's and 8+ years of experience
- Extensive hands-on experience in isolation, culture, and characterization of primary immune cells from human and animal tissues
- Deep understanding of ligand/receptor interactions and signal transduction
- Extensive cell-based and biochemical assay development experience with a variety of readout technologies including WB, qPCR, flow cytometry, ELISA, and immunofluorescence
- Experience with different imaging techniques and image analysis is highly desirable
- Prior experience with biotherapeutics is highly desirable
- Experience with animal handling and in vivo animal modes of human disorders is a plus
- Knowledge in the field of metabolic disorders or oncology is a plus
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a multi-disciplinary matrix team in a dynamic and fast-paced environment, desire to take on increasing responsibility over time
- Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration and organizational skills are required
- Strong record of performance and scientific accomplishments as demonstrated by impactful contributions to the scientific community, pipeline contributions, peer reviewed publications and patent applications