Progenity, Inc. is a leading molecular diagnostic testing company. We invite applications for our exciting and innovative Senior Level Bioinformatics positions (Principal and Staff) at our Headquarters located in San Diego, CA. This role entices a bioinformatician with industry experience who is passionate about making a difference in human-health and in disease diagnostics by developing computational algorithms, performing data-mining, and applying machine-learning and statistical modeling in genetic data. Applicants will have the opportunity to work at the cutting-edge of the genetic testing industry, and in a collaborative and fast-paced environment. As a result of our successes in developing quality molecular diagnostic products, Progenity is rapidly expanding and looking to fill these positions immediately to augment our development capabilities. A competitive salary commensurate with experience can be offered, along with a generous benefits package. Based on the location, relocation assistance can be offered to a successful non-local candidate.
The Principal Bioinformatician is responsible for the ideation, building and supporting complex bioinformatics software systems that enable new platforms or products in human genomics-based products for the NIPT, carrier screening, women’s health and human disease molecular diagnostics industries, as well as others in parallel business spaces. Activities include design, implementation, and testing of genetic analysis methods based on standardized software development processes; develop of quality assessment, control, and benchmarking of sequencing assays and analysis methods; and support laboratory operations in a large-scale clinical production environment operated under CLIA regulations and CAP guidelines.
• Ph.D. in a quantitative field (Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Physics, and related fields).
• Minimum of 5 years of previous industrial experience in related field (not including post-doctoral and other academic training).
• Previous product development experience in a regulated environment (CLIA/CAP, IVD or other FDA regulatory environment) preferred.
• Strong background in statistics, mathematics, algorithms.
• Demonstrated record in applying statistical learning to solve complex problems.
• Solid knowledge of probability theory its applications.
• Extensive knowledge of and understanding in machine-learning, and track record in apply and implementing of such methods in solving real world problems.
• Extensive knowledge in performing large-scale simulation for evaluating the performance of analytical algorithms
• Knowledge of optimization problems and heuristic methods
• Experience in working with problem with very high dimensions
• Proficient in Linux operating system.
• High programming proficiency in scripting languages (Python, Perl) and a application programming languages (C, C++, Java). Strong Python programming skills are highly desirable.
• Strong analytical programming skills in R.
• Proficient in working with High-Performance Computing (HPC).
• Strong ability to solve practical problems in data analysis and interpretation.
• Experience in working in the cloud computing environment is a plus.
• Strong communication skills.
• Ability to work in multi-disciplinary environments and work and communicate with wet-lab scientist and clinicians.
• Must be a detail-oriented self-starter who can organize and prioritize workloads.
• Prior experience with analysis of next-generation sequencing data, particularly WES or WGS.
• Familiarity with software product development lifecycle.
• Experience with version control systems such as git-hub and git-lab
• Experience in designing clinical studies