Associate Scientist, Fermentation
The Associate Scientist will design and execute fermentation experiments in support of our R&D deliverables. The successful candidate will contribute toward strain and process improvement in a fast paced, team oriented research operations setting. This position will work Tuesday-Saturday from 12:00pm-8:30pm.
- Collaborate on experimental design and sample analysis.
- Set up and operate bench-scale bioreactors and associated software.
- Carry out microbial fermentations using various strains, feedstocks, and protocols.
- Sample bioreactors and prepare samples for further analysis.
- Evaluate and maintain fermentation data in the databases.
- Troubleshoot laboratory failures and implement corrective actions.
- Apply organizational and creative skills to improve lab operations.
- Provide input for quality and efficiency improvement opportunities.
- Maintain safe practices and work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in biology, life sciences, chemistry, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering or related field.
- 2 years of experience in a Biological laboratory, Fermentation experience preferred.
- Familiarity with concepts in statistics, tools to analyze data (JMP, Minitab, R, Spotfire) and quality principles such as 5S and Lean.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Capability to manage multiple independent processes and experiments within a single day including scheduling instrumentation and preparing reagents and material.
- Attention to detail and careful record keeping skills.
- Working in cross-disciplinary, collaborative teams
- Tenacity in pursuing objectives to completion correctly and on time.
- Weekend work is mandatory. Occasional overtime is required.
- Embrace Amyris Core Values.
Amyris, a leader in industrial synthetic biology, uses its innovative bioscience solutions to achieve renewable products by converting plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules. Amyris’ molecules are used in wide range of specialty & performance chemicals, flavors & fragrances and in applications ranging from cosmetics to biofuels. Learn more at www.amyris.com.
As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, Amyris is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Amyris complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website http://www.amyris.com.