Senior Pilot Plant Manager
Amyris is the integrated renewable products company that is enabling the world’s leading brands to achieve sustainable growth. Amyris applies its innovative bioscience solutions to convert plant sugars into hydrocarbon molecules, specialty ingredients and consumer products. The company is delivering its No Compromise® products in focused markets, including specialty and performance chemicals, fragrance ingredients, and cosmetic emollients.
Amyris is seeking a Pilot Plant Manager to effectively lead a team of 10 engineers and associates in an exciting, fast-paced, environment where technology and innovation are embraced.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate the pilot plant team during a period of growth, shifting priorities, and expanding capabilities
- Ensure a safe work environment for all pilot plant operations.
- Collaborate directly with customers and create and manage pilot plant schedule
- Manage daily activities to meet project needs while providing opportunities for growth for team
- Accountability for experimental results are of high quality and turnaround times are short
- Contribute to technical discussions and provide technical support for pilot plant processes in the areas of fermentation, separation, and/or purification.
- Lead and support the transfer of processes from R&D to pilot plant to Manufacturing
- Own the critical metrics through control charting of operational performance
- Lead the continuous improvement of operations that drive efficiencies
- Build upon robust pilot plant policies, practices and documented protocols (SOPs, BPRs, etc.)
- Harmonize operations between Brazil and Emeryville Pilot Plants
- Manage the pilot plant budget
- Experience and superior track record in industrial safety as a priority
- BS degree in Chemical Engineering or related field with exceptional prior industrial experience
- 8 years of experience with no less than 3 years of management experience
- Demonstrated leadership as a pilot plant and/or area manager
- Strong fermentation and/or product recovery technical and operational experience in a biotechnology environment
- Demonstrated ability to translate technology from R&D into pilot processes
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Effective planning and organization skills
- Readily available to the facility (via phone, email, and including short commute to site)
- Demonstrated ability to motivate the pilot plant team to perform beyond their self-perceived abilities
- Capital project management expertise and experience including field management of subcontractors desirable
- Chemical industry experience a plus.
- Technology transfer experience a plus
- Multi-lingual English, Spanish, French, or Portuguese a plus
- Embrace Amyris Core Values
For a full list of our current openings, please visit our website .