Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
Reports to: Vice President, Tax
We are currently seeking a Tax Manager to support our growing business. In this position, you will work in a challenging, fast-paced, dynamic environment and will work collaboratively with business leaders throughout the organization. You will develop and gain valuable experience in a wide range of tax disciplines including federal, state, international and local tax compliance and planning.
The Tax Manager is primarily responsible for managing the day-to-day workflow of the corporate tax department, which includes working closely with the Vice President Tax as well as coordinating with outside consultants. The preparation of tax provisions to support U.S. GAAP financial reporting and disclosures, in accordance with ASC 740, are required on a quarterly and annual basis. The Tax Manager will review and update SOX controls, as necessary, to support a robust internal control environment. You will coordinate with consultants on various projects and provide assistance with internal and external audit requests. The position is responsible for timely and accurate tax compliance activities, which includes the compilation of data to support federal, state, local and international tax filings.
- Work closely with VP Tax in support of strategic tax planning and forecasting initiatives
- Manage the preparation and review ASC 740 tax provisions and related disclosures, including preparation of related journal entries and account reconciliations
- Manage the preparation and review of uncertain tax positions (FIN 48)
- Manage the tax compliance process, including the preparation and filing of all required tax returns, extensions and estimated payments.
- Manage income tax audits and provide tax support to all subsidiaries
- Monitor tax law changes and alert management to any changes that may have a material impact to the Company
- Manage SOX control process
- Identify and implement process improvements
- Manage the relationship and coordinate projects with external consultants
- Strong understanding of U.S. federal and state income tax principles
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP tax accounting and SEC reporting principles
- Excellent time management, communication and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work independently, but also collaborate with internal team and outside tax professionals
- Adaptable, with ability to prioritize and re-prioritize projects as necessary
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
- CPA Preferred
- 6+ years of progressive tax experience; preferably a combination of public accounting and industry
- Exposure to tax provisions, SOX controls and U.S. GAAP reporting requirements
- Basic knowledge of international tax concepts a plus
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition #17-0107
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.