Associate Director / Director, Modeling & Simulation
Modeling & Simulation (M&S) methodologies plays an increasingly important role in the development of new drugs within Vertex Pharmaceuticals. We are now seeking an experienced M&S scientist to add to our Modeling & Simulations group. The successful candidate will combine strong pharmacometric skills with a deep biological understanding and will be responsible for developing and executing M&S strategies and activities in cross functional drug development project teams in close collaboration with colleagues in Clinical Pharmacology, Biostatistics, Research and other colleagues within the R&D organization.
- As M&S lead in one or more cross functional drug development teams, responsibilities include the development and execution Modeling & Simulation plans and analyses fully integrated with the overall development plans
- By using state of the art Modeling & Simulation methodologies strongly contribute to critical decision making like study design, dose selection, probability of success estimation etc.
- Independently perform mechanism based PKPD and population PK and PKPD-analyses, Clinical trial simulations and other model based analyses on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement in efficiency and effectiveness of our M&S capability by supporting training activities, evaluating and incorporating new M&S tools as appropriate.
- PhD in Pharmaceutical sciences, Pharmacometrics, Clinical pharmacology, mathematics, statistics, or other quantitative discipline with an emphasis on Pharmacometrics and PKPD modeling
- 10+ yrs post PhD hands-on experience in the application of Pharmacometric and other Modeling methodologies in the context of drug research & development in industry, academia or regulatory agencies.
- A solid understanding of biology, pharmacokinetic and quantitative pharmacology (PKPD) principles.
- Excellent hands-on skills in population PK and PKPD modeling, mechanistic PKPD modeling, Clinical trial simulations, Disease progression modeling etc.
- Excellent skills in the use of NonMem, PsN, R, Phoenix, and similar tools
- Demonstrated strong leadership-, collaborative and influencing skills
- Excellent, verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in clinical development teams and integrating the use of PK/PD modeling and/or modeling of complex biological system
- Company Information
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.