Senior Anatomic Pathologist
Preclinical Safety Assessment (PSA) is a global function responsible for the design and conduct of nonclinical safety programs for the comprehensive safety assessment of Vertex therapies at all stages of discovery and development. Vertex Pharmaceuticals uses cutting edge science and technologies to perform robust assessments of novel therapies for the treatment of the most serious diseases with unmet medical need. Our culture enables individual empowerment where “We Wins” “Fearless Pursuit of Excellence” and “Innovation” are more than just corporate values; they are part of our everyday lives. PSA members have significant roles in the drug development process beginning in the early drug discovery phase and continuing through the entire drug development value chain resulting in successful registration and marketing approval.
The Senior Anatomic Pathologist (Sr. Scientific Fellow level position) will be responsible for:
• Anatomic pathology evaluation of nonGLP and GLP Toxicity studies from lead identification/optimization stage through registration and post-marketing in collaboration with other veterinary anatomic and clinical pathologists
• Peer review of outsourced GLP toxicology studies including carcinogenicity studies
• Interpretation and communication of findings to cross-functional project teams and senior management
• Participation in regulatory submission document preparation and addressing queries from global health authorities, poster presentations and scientific publications. Participation in regular training and professional continuing education programs is expected
• Collaboration with PSA, Discovery and Biomarker scientists to identify translational safety biomarkers for possible use in clinical studies
The position includes opportunities for potential additional roles including:
• Preclinical safety project team representative
• Participation in preclinical safety in-licensing activities supporting business development
• Collaboration with Discovery scientists on in-vivo model development and efficacy study interpretation
- DVM or equivalent and ACVP/ECVP board certification in veterinary anatomic pathology
- PhD in a relevant scientific discipline is strongly preferred
- 10+ years of work experience in a GLP environment including the conduct of peer reviewsWork experience as a project team representative in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology sector is desirable
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including authorship of regulated pathology reports, use of data visualization and Web-based collaboration tools
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.