Senior Director, Global Medical Communications and Publications
The Senior Director, Global Medical Communications will oversee a team of individuals responsible for brand and disease specific global medical communication strategies and execution of those plans for all therapeutic areas at Vertex with a focus in cystic fibrosis. This individual will provide oversight of the global medical communication strategic plans and ensure cross-functional collaboration on the generation of the plans and materials. The position will report to the Vice President, Global Medical Communications and Operations within the Global Medical Affairs team.
He/she is responsible for overseeing the global medical communications team to develop strategic and impactful medical communications plans including the publication plan and develop medical communication materials, including but not limited to field medical slide decks, management presentations and frequently asked questions. She/he will help identify the key cross-functional members that will provide input in the medical communication plans and further refine process to obtain feedback/input from internal/external stakeholders on the plans/materials. The individual will work to ensure projects are resourced adequately and are tracking to the requested deadlines. The individual will need to support and develop their team to understand the needs of healthcare community and the education gaps that are important/prioritized to address with the materials being generated.
Ability to work on multidisciplinary teams; Ability to inspire a team to excel and foster a positive environment encouraging personal accountability and excitement for the work the team does; Demonstrated leadership in ambiguous situations; In-depth knowledge of ICMJE, good publication practices and journal review/selection criteria; Current working knowledge the legal, regulatory and compliance regulations and guidelines; Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced environment; Strong strategic planning, communication and organizational skills; Excellent written and communication skills.
• Work with team members to develop/maintain disease and brand focused scientific platforms that outline core scientific statements/messages and identifies data/communication gaps.
• Lead team to plan, communicate and execute the assigned brand or disease medical communication plan; ensure consistency across plans but flexibility based on specific needs of each plan
• Oversee and provide direction to the team on the development and execution of the strategic publication plan and ensure compliance with good publication practices and obtain approval of the plan by senior management.
• Communicate plans to senior management and support team members to address feedback from internal and external stakeholders
• Perform critical analysis and synthesis of internal/external data and ensure team has the ability/resources to perform this as well.
• Assists in the development/enhancement and implementation of policies, procedures, and processes for the department
• Plan and track all aspects of the medical communication team budget including managing vendor contracting/invoicing
Education and Experience:
• Advanced degree, doctorate level (PharmD, M.D. or Ph.D.)
• 10+ years of relevant Medical Communications experience
• Medical Affairs Pharmaceutical Industry Experience required
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that invests in scientific innovation to create transformative medicines for people with serious and life-threatening diseases. We discovered and developed the first medicines to treat the underlying cause of cystic fibrosis (CF), a rare, life-threatening genetic disease. In addition to clinical development programs in CF, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs focused on the underlying mechanisms of other serious diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and offices around the world. For several consecutive years, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law. Any applicant requiring an accommodation in connection with the hiring process and/or to perform the essential functions of the position for which the applicant has applied should make a request to the recruiter or hiring manager, or contact Talent Acquisition at ApplicationAssistance@vrtx.com.