Associate Director, Site Budgets & Contract Management (SBCM)
Ultragenyx is a clinical stage biotechnology company committed to bringing to market novel products for the treatment of rare and ultra-rare diseases with an initial focus on serious debilitating metabolic genetic diseases. Founded in 2010, the company has rapidly built a diverse portfolio of both large and small molecule candidates with the potential to address diseases for which the unmet medical need is high, the biology for treatment is clear, and for which there are no approved therapies.
Come join our team during this exciting time of growth and opportunities!
The Associate Director, Site Budgets & Contracts Management (SBCM) will lead the clinical SBCM function in the Clinical Operations Department. The Associate Director is accountable for the line management of the Site Budgets & Contracts Management personnel, including development, coaching, talent planning, and performance management. In this role, the Associate Director will need to interact effectively with the clinical project teams and senior leaders within Ultragenyx to ensure alignment with and delivery of business objectives.
Responsibilities, including but not limited to:
- Direction and oversight of the Site Budget and Contract Management function within Clinical Operations
- Evaluate functional or project specific needs and how they can impact the current operational strategy(ies)
- Define project team or function-specific strategies with input from stakeholders, as appropriate
- Serve as primary contact to the project teams/functions for the sourcing of their activities
- Provide leadership services in support of clinical project teams/functions, to include contract development, negotiation, execution and issue management
- Oversee contract negotiations with clinical sites; partner with Legal and Finance to write, review, amend, negotiate and close contracts
- Measure performance of staff with respect to quality of work, cost, timeliness and other related parameters
- Ensure appropriate risk evaluation and mitigation while meeting business needs
- Facilitate contracting issue escalation and resolution
- Ensure employees and contractors are appropriately trained to comply with company and regulatory standards
- Participate in the development and implementation of department organizational goals
- Participate in and/or lead working groups or initiatives, as required
- Seen as an emerging leader in Clinical Operations
- Bachelor degree or equivalent required (scientific or healthcare discipline preferred)
- 12+ years of progressively more challenging experience in clinical and drug development, including 5+ years of clinical contracts (including global trial experience)
- 4+ years of experience in a supervisory role
- Strategically minded to efficiently utilize company resources and expertise to extract optimal performance
- Demonstrated ability to lead a SBCM function
- Considerable and demonstrated business acumen. Ability to effectively negotiate business terms and financial costs
- Knowledge of applicable regulatory and ICH guidance regarding clinical research and GCP
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, and strong influencing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and credibility, both internally and externally, to successfully negotiate contracts beneficial to the Company
- Ability to facilitate conflict resolution
- Identifies and brings solutions to challenges
- Flexible to operate comfortably in a rapidly changing and sometimes ambiguous environment
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical is an equal opportunity employer & prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, disability, marital and veteran status.