Protein Engineering Research Associate
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a leading company in CRISPR genome engineering located in Berkeley, CA. Caribou's tools and technologies provide transformative capabilities to therapeutic development, agricultural biotechnology, industrial biotechnology, and basic and applied biological research. The five-year-old company has developed a best-in-class CRISPR genome engineering technology platform and has a leading intellectual property position.
We are seeking a Research Associate to join our Molecular Engineering group. The ideal candidate will interact closely with Scientists and other RAs to support the production and purification of recombinant proteins.
Responsibilities will include:
- Performing all protein production steps including expression, purification and analysis
- Conducting small scale experiments to design and optimize protein expression and purification strategies
- Analyzing purified proteins by methods that include biochemical assays, electrophoresis and analytical gel filtration
- Culturing bacteria and preparing media
- Preparing documentation and maintaining records
- Operating and maintaining FPLC systems
- Managing packaging, delivery and shipment to partners and collaborators
Candidate must possess:
- B.Sc. or equivalent in Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a research or manufacturing laboratory
- Experience with recombinant protein purification and chromatography
- Hands-on experience with FPLC systems
- A strong desire to learn and solve problems
- Strong organizational, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Experience with bacterial, mammalian or yeast based protein expression systems
- Experience with automated or high throughput methods for scouting purification strategies
- An understanding of additional analytical approaches for protein characterization.
- M.Sc. or equivalent in Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Molecular Biology or a related field
Caribou Biosciences, Inc. is a dynamic start-up company, and the successful candidate must have the ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment. For more information, please visit www.cariboubio.com. Caribou is on Twitter. Sign up to follow our Twitter feed @CaribouBio.
Caribou offers a comprehensive compensation package, as well as generous paid time off in addition to Company-observed holidays. The Company provides medical, dental, and vision insurance, along with a 401(k) retirement savings plan which includes matching employer contributions. Caribou promotes a culture in which employees are respected and rewarded for hard work, innovation, personal initiative, and teamwork.
Caribou is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, citizenship, political activity or affiliation, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (as defined under California law), veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, sex or gender (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, or any other basis protected by law. In addition, Caribou prohibits the harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above or any other characteristics protected under federal, state, or local laws.
Direct applicants only. No agencies please.