Scientist/Sr. Scientist – Expression Technology/Protein Science
JOB DESCRIPTION AND SUMMARY:
Compugen USA, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Compugen Ltd., develops therapeutic antibodies for the treatment of cancer. Working closely with colleagues in Tel Aviv, we are advancing multiple programs targeting novel immune checkpoints for reactivation of anti-tumor immune response. We are seeking highly skilled and motivated employees who are looking for growth opportunities in a fast paced, startup-like environment.
This position reports to the Director of Antibody Discovery and will be responsible for the cloning and expression of protein targets and antibodies that will be used in drug discovery activities and functional characterization of antibodies. Expertise in molecular biology techniques, cell culture and expression systems will be the primary technical focus. The position may be asked to supervise research associates and provide scientific mentorship and career growth opportunities for junior staff.
- Provides antigens, antibodies and cell lines for oncology therapeutic development projects
- Supports antibody discovery efforts as needed
- Employs molecular biology and cell culture expertise to generate both stable and transient cell lines that express soluble or cell surface proteins for use in antibody discovery and functional characterization activities
- Enhances the capabilities of in-house expression and display platforms
- Establishes relationships with CROs and manages their activities as required for outsourced expression work
- Maintains an up-to-date understanding of relevant technical literature and methodology
- Prepares and organizes data for presentation. Presents written and oral reports to project teams, the Antibody Discovery group, and management. Communicates research efforts to collaborators, corporate partners, and/or at scientific meetings.
- Plays a key role in decision-making process on cross-functional project teams; providing core expertise and input on scientific direction.
- Ensures timely progress on research projects, prioritizes projects and resource utilization within group, and presents updates to senior management.
- Assumes responsibility for the development and implementation of core technologies related to functional area; enhancing capabilities and reducing research timelines
- Collaborates with scientific colleagues in Tel Aviv
- Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or related life science is preferred; Undergraduate degree with relevant industry experience will be considered
- Minimum of 6-10 years industry experience involving protein expression systems
- Broad understanding of drug discovery and development
- Proven record of success in small and large scale protein expression.
- Knowledgeable in use of expression platforms, chemical transfection and viral transduction methodologies as well as cell culture techniques and development of stable cell lines
- Background in molecular biology with experience in gene/vector design is a must
- Track record of scientific accomplishment as evidenced by quality and quantity of publications and/or inventions
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently and manage functional responsibilities on therapeutic project teams
- Demonstrated proficiency and knowledge in the relevant field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and activities while meeting ambitious deadlines
- Highly motivated, efficient, and ambitious; and contributes to strategic planning
- Maintains excellent working relationships with colleagues and collaborators
- Experience with a global company a plus
- Ability to travel (up to 5 %)
- Ability to work productively with colleagues across the global company