Senior Data Scientist
Amgen is seeking a Senior Data Scientist to be based in our Thousand Oaks, CA global headquarters, who will report into the Executive Director of Technology Strategy and Innovation.
The Next Generation Insights & Intelligence Amgen Full Potential (NGII AFP) initiative's remit is to drive systematic utilization of data, analytics, artificial intelligence, and automation across all aspects of the business to reduce costs and increase revenue, speed and efficiency. As part of the Strategy, Commercialization & Innovation function, the Senior Data Scientist will interface across Amgen's value chain in advancing projects and strategic deliverables for the NGII AFP.
Primary Responsibilities for the Senior Data Scientist include:
- Strategic planning and development of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence capabilities across Amgen as an enterprise
- Lead cross functional teams on projects and/or programs with aims to systematically integrate data, derive insights, and automate processes
- Partner across the entire value chain at Amgen so as to interact, learn from, and lead teams involved in Amgen processes ranging from R&D to Commercialization
- Successful execute projects allowing for demonstrated technical feasibility for advanced informatic capabilities, as well as ultimately derive substantial business value for Amgen
- Strategic, technical, and people leadership with both internal and external stakeholders
Doctorate degree and 2 years of information systems and/or functional leadership experience
Master's degree and 4 years of information systems and/or functional leadership experience
Bachelor's degree and 6 years of information systems and/or functional leadership experience
Associate's degree and 10 years of information systems and/or functional leadership experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of information systems and/or functional leadership experience
- Experience with variety of data analysis and modeling methods particularly in their application to biological systems (i.e. Unsupervised (PCA, K-Means), Supervised (Linear/Logistic Regression including PLS, Deep Learning approaches), Bayesian, Fourier/Laplace)
- Proficient in SQL, Python, R and familiar with HDFS
- Familiarity and background with biotechnology processes and regulatory requirements
- Biological domain understanding: masters/phD in a biologically relevant field (i.e. biological engineering, biomedical engineering, chemical engineering, bioinformatics)
- Strong statistics and programming background with proven experience delivering on data science and machine learning projects (experience with Bayesian and deep learning approaches are a big plus)
- Familiarity with DevOps and good software practices (i.e. version control, continuous integration, test driven development)
- Strong communication skills and experience with client engagement: candidate's will have outstanding experience engaging directly with clients (scientific/biological experience is preferred) in developing data science/machine learning or other software solutions
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people's lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world's leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.