SENIOR SCIENTIST, RESEARCH SCIENCE
Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck is currently seeking a qualified PET radiochemist within the Department of Translational Biomarkers located at our West Point, PA site in suburban Philadelphia. This innovative team consists of chemists, imaging physiologists, PET modelers and other biological and computational scientists. The group currently has state-of-the-art PET radiochemistry facilities and imaging instrumentation (PET, SPECT, CT, MRI, and optical) for in vivo imaging experimental species.
The successful candidate will discover and develop novel PET tracers for use in both preclinical and clinical studies, and direct interactions between the multidisciplinary PET team and preclinical programs for the projects supported.
Duties would include:
- Responsibility for the design and discovery of novel PET tracers for a variety of targets to support drug discovery and development.
- Synthesis of PET tracers to meet a demanding pre-clinical imaging schedule.
- Coordination of PET tracer-focused studies
- Maintenance and upkeep of laboratory equipment used for PET radiochemistry.
- Accurate record keeping for notebooks, equipment logs and research reports.
- Contribution to regulatory documents required for clinical PET tracer filings.
- Presentation of research results to discovery, pre-clinical and clinical teams, including writing of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals.
- Collaboration with Imaging Department personnel, drug discovery program team leads, and clinical scientists
PhD degree in Organic Chemistry or the equivalent
Required Experience and Skills:
- At least 2 year hands on experience with the incorporation of fluorine-18 and carbon-11 into molecules
- Directly relevant research experience in PET radiochemistry.
- Experience with the discovery and evaluation of novel PET tracers, including the design, synthesis, purification and quality control of small molecule PET tracers for in vivo imaging.
- Ability to develop appropriate solutions to overcome challenges associated with the discovery of novel PET tracers.
- A strong academic record including publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Interpersonal skills necessary for working in a highly collaborative, cross-functional working environment.
- Ability to work independently
Preferred Experience and Skills:
Prefer experience in [11C]methyliodine and [11C]cyanide. Strong interest in understanding biology.
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: