Staff Scientist Medicinal Chemistry
Takeda is a global, innovation-driven pharmaceutical leader with 30,000 professionals working together across more than 70 countries. We have maintained an unwavering dedication to put patients first for more than 235 years while we live our values of Takeda-ism—Integrity, Fairness, Honesty, and Perseverance. We are united by our mission to strive towards Better Health and a Brighter Future for people worldwide through leading innovation in medicine.
We focus our research and development on the core therapeutic areas of oncology, gastroenterology, neuroscience, and on providing vaccines that address the most important infectious diseases. Novel products, especially in oncology and gastroenterology, as well as our presence in emerging markets, fuel our growth.
Takeda California generates highly disease-specific and patient-tailored transformative new medicines aligned with Takeda’s global market strategies through research in Gastrointestinal (GI), Neuroscience and Immunology. Takeda California’s team of experienced scientists and clinicians deliver on the needs of patients by blending its internal capabilities, global Takeda resources, and expertise and technology from best-in-class external partners. In early 2019, Takeda California will open a new 165,000 square-foot building with the intent to make it an external innovation and collaboration hub for San Diego.
Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry in our San Diego office.
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Staff Scientist working on the Medicinal Chemistry team, you will be empowered to design and synthesize small molecules for drug discovery projects.
The Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemist is responsible for designing and synthesizing small-molecules for drug discovery projects in order to advance those programs into preclinical development.
- The Staff Scientist, Medicinal Chemist develops novel and efficient synthesis strategies and coordinates research strategies and activities with team members
- Designs synthetic targets for lead discovery and optimization to address issues of target potency, selectivity, animal pharmacokinetics, and in vivo efficacy
- Utilizes contemporary structure-based methods, structure-activity relationships, and medicinal chemistry principles in the proposal and execution of innovative chemistry strategies
- Conducts the synthesis of complex target molecules
- Designs viable synthetic routes and performs literature searches in support of research
- Creates relevant intellectual property for the company and contributes to patent authorship
- Contributes to the authorship of scientific manuscripts, frequently as principal author
- Maintains a current understanding of the synthetic literature and methodology, as well as the scientific literature related to a specific drug discovery project
- Keeps an accurate, comprehensible, concise notebook in accordance with company policy
- Influences the course of projects
- With general guidance, learns standards and levels of expectations for routine work; designs experimental strategies
- Learns company's discovery process
- Identifies routine obstacles to progress; solves a variety of problems
- May mentor Research Associates
- Supports at least one project of defined scope and moderate complexity
- Represents own research to senior leadership, or for scientific collaborations, or a national scientific conference
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with 0-3 years of relevant chemistry research experience, OR
- MS in Chemistry with minimum 10 years of relevant chemistry research experience, OR
- BS in Chemistry with minimum 12 years of relevant chemistry research experience
- Clear general knowledge of chemistry
- Diverse practical experience in synthetic organic chemistry
- Clear understanding of experimental design
- Clear understanding of reaction mechanism
- Good understanding of basic biochemical and biological principles
- High level of professional expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods
- Has demonstrated independent thought/creativity in science
- Ability to present work formally to internal scientific reviews
- Ability to convey ideas in an experimentally detailed yet scientifically concise manner
- Excellent communication and multitasking skills
- Expert knowledge of applicable lab equipment
- Possesses a high degree of scientific discretion/intuition
- Proficiency with chemistry drawing software (e.g., Chemdraw) and MS office applications
- Manual dexterity required to operate standard laboratory and office equipment
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals
- Prolonged standing and/or sitting
- May travel to various domestic conferences or client sites, including overnight trips
- Some international travel may be required
- Requires up to 2% travel
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
Company match of charitable contributions
Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.