Senior / Executive Director, Medicinal Chemistry
Join us in the most challenging and rewarding science of our lives.
Nurix is a science-focused company that is committed to bringing novel, first-in-class therapies to patients. Nurix is a leader in discovering a new class of drugs that work by modulating E3 ubiquitin ligases within the ubiquitin proteasome system (UPS). The UPS is a regulatory network that controls protein stabilization and degradation – a function vital to the healthy life of a cell – offering therapeutic opportunities in multiple disease areas. Nurix’s scientific team has established an innovative drug discovery platform to identify selective inhibitors or activators of the UPS, enabling the development of novel therapeutics that can restore normal cellular homeostasis.
Nurix was founded by internationally recognized experts in the UPS field and received its initial funding from leading life science investors Third Rock Ventures and The Column Group. In 2015, Nurix entered into a multi-year strategic collaboration with Celgene to discover and develop next-generation therapies targeting protein homeostasis in oncology, immunology and inflammation, including the rapidly evolving field of immuno-oncology.
Nurix is based in San Francisco’s biotechnology hub, Mission Bay – where academia (UCSF Mission Bay campus) and industry come together for cutting-edge life-saving research.
We are seeking an exceptional senior leader in Medicinal Chemistry to join the drug discovery leadership team.
The position will hold responsibility for leading the medicinal chemistry team as well as multidisciplinary project leadership, strategy and execution. The successful candidate will participate in cross-functional senior teams across the wider discovery and development organizations and be responsible for communication with the executive management team, the board of directors and external collaborators.
- Ph.D. in Chemistry with 10+ years drug discovery medicinal chemistry experience, including at least five years of team and project leadership in the biopharmaceutical industry
- Solid track record of innovation and impact on programs, with direct contributions to company pipelines (including both successful advances and smart terminations)
- Experience with championing medicinal chemistry efforts into new directions to achieve project milestones
- Ability to oversee the design of novel chemical entities optimized for potency, selectivity, pharmacokinetics and in vivo efficacy
- Rigorous scientific curiosity evidenced by contributions to diverse medicinal chemistry strategies
- Track record of developing and leading high performing scientific teams in a highly collaborative cross-functional project-based environment
- Ability to make sound judgments in evaluation and strategic decision-making around early screening or literature hits
- Experience with directing teams through the drug development phase transitions
- Excellent scientific and business communication skills