Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer
The Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer will be responsible for maintaining instrumentation and automated systems in the API Pilot Plant (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients), Buildings R8, R12, R9, C19 and Lab areas.
The facility produces nearly all of the small-molecule active pharmaceutical ingredient (API) compounds and some biologics in AbbVie's development pipeline.
This requires the Electrical & Instrumentation Engineer to respond quickly to changes and issues with instrumentation and controls as required preventing manufacturing interruptions and ensuring that API delivery timelines are met.
- Hands on experience with troubleshooting, repair, install, and test smart process instrumentation, electrical motor drives, electrical relays and solenoids with logic controls
- Troubleshoot, repair, design, program, and test complex algorithms in Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Distributed Control Systems (DCS-DeltaV) for process equipment (reactors, heat transfer skids, vacuum skids, mills, chillers, filter dryers).
- Read, design and interpret wiring schematics, piping and instrument diagrams for new and existing equipment
- Acts as a calibration coordinator for API pilot plant. Works with the calibration technician to resolve issues related to malfunction of an instrument.
- Execute commissioning and qualification activities to meet regulatory requirements
- Assist in scoping new system installation and upgrading installed systems installation in Class I Div. I area
- Understand and Manage detailed system function specifications, computer code, and commissioning and qualification activities.
- Serve as primary interface, coordinate and supervise outside maintenance of APCs and Data Historian (PI).
- Identify, analyze and correct instrument operating problems and take corrective action to prevent it.
- Use technical libraries to determine state-of-the-art methods for instrument selection, application, maintenance, trouble-shooting and problem analysis
- Generate innovative solutions in work situations, try different and novel ways to deal with work problems, identify and implement improvement opportunities.
- Review system maintenance procedures and update as needed.
- Maintain detailed work reports, spreadsheets, graphs, plots, database's on computer based software (Maximo, MS Word, and MS Excel) and collaborate with engineering group in a team environment
- Interface with multidiscipline engineers and scientists to determine process/project requirements
- Train multi-craft operators, peers and trainees
- Provide timely normal and off-hours maintenance support. (7 days/week)
Grade level will be based on education & years of experience
- Must have extensive hands on skills in the operation of electric/electronic test equipment such as DC power supplies, milliamps and millivolt calibrators, multimeters, signal sources, function generators, oscilloscopes, frequency generators and counters as well as standard tools is highly desirable,
- Must be able to troubleshoot and understand principles and technologies of electrical systems including installations of fuses, breakers, wiring, conduit, panel boxes, motor start/stop circuits and grounding systems
- Has knowledge of hardware and software of Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Distributed Control Systems (DCS).
- Is able to interpret, design and revise wiring schematics, piping and instrument diagrams Task assignments require technical competence to perform actual work unsupervised with minimal follow up requirements
- Is able to effectively take ownership and prioritize work in alignment with customer's requests and overall business strategy
- Is able to maintain effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work tasks or schedule, adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, and requirements.
- Has ability to instruct multi-craft operators, peers and trainees
- An Associates/ Technical Degree with 7+ years of experience in electronic equipment and controls. -OR-
- A Bachelors Degree and 2-3+ years of hands-on experience in the maintenance and repairs of pneumatic, analog, digital, DCS systems, combined cycle systems and programmable equipment
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled