Senior Scientist II, Process Sciences
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer. AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at Stemcentrx, AbbVie's South San Francisco, CA location.
AbbVie Stemcentrx is embracing new paradigms and technologies to develop novel and life-changing therapies for cancer. As part of a talented and multi-disciplinary team advancing an exciting approach to drug development, we are seeking a highly motivated candidate to join our process science team. The primary responsibility of this role is to develop, optimize and perform analytical methods to characterize toxins and linker-drugs for antibody drug conjugates. This role will work closely with Discovery Chemistry, DMPK and Bioconjugation teams for novel linker-drugs development. The opportunity will provide exposure to the candidate on various facets of research, process development for novel linker-drugs and ADC technologies, and multiple state of the art MS instruments and analytical workflows.
· Establish analytical workflow to support toxins and linker-drugs characterization for antibody drug conjugates discovery using techniques such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), charged aerosol detector (CAD), and mass spectrometry (MS).
· Identify drug impurities, degradants, and metabolites using LC-MSMS and other analytical methodologies.
· Develop capillary electrophoresis and chromatography methods for mAb and ADC characterization.
· Support the troubleshooting LC-MS and LC-UV instrumentation issues and performing routine maintenance of both MS and LC equipment.
· Work closely with multiple teams in research/process development and provide analytical support as needed.
· Maintain excellent documentation of all work including lab notebooks, test methods and other appropriate documents.
· Present results and experimental information to management and colleague.
· A Ph.D. in Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related fields with 5 or more years of industrial or academic experience.
· Experience with high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), and mass spectrometry (MS) is required.
· A good understanding and working knowledge of various analytical methods for small molecule and large molecule.
· Able to work independently or under minimal supervision to design and conduct experiments, as well as interpret, document, and communicate results.
· Willing to work effectively with others in a dynamic, fast-paced environment, and the ability to self-motivate, multitask, meet frequently tight deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled