Scientist, Research Informatics (Chemistry & Electronic Notebook)
We are seeking a talented informatics professional who will leverage and continue to evolve our existing systems in support of Nektar's bench scientists to reduce the time required to develop Nektar’s pipeline and our polymer technology expertise. The successful candidate will apply their chem/bio-informatics skills to enable our scientific data storage/retrieval and knowledge management systems to provide actionable insights for current and future work. This position contributes to and supports the company’s research and development efforts to create high value therapeutics to address unmet medical needs focused on cancer immunology, inflammation, and CNS disorders.
The individual will support, maintain and develop our integrated ELN / Registration / Inventory /SAR database and data visualization systems and be supported by Nektar's IT staff. The scientist will identify and collate sources of existing public domain and commercial / proprietary chemical and biological data, and enable our bench scientists to use modeling and simulation ADMET tools to generate actionable insights from existing SAR data.
The successful candidate will:
- Lead the support, maintenance and upgrade of Nektar's integrated ELN / Registration / Inventory / SAR database and data visualization systems in a discovery research environment in conjunction with the Nektar IT and EH&S staff. A working knowledge of the Dotmatics software platform is highly desirable.
- Build database upload and query tools for our bench science community to effectively store and access key data.
- Proactively engage in knowledge sharing, train and support peers across project teams from discovery through clinical.
- Identify and collate sources of existing public domain SAR (e.g. patents, PubChem, ChEMBL) for current and future projects; find new ways of analyzing, modeling and visualizing data from multiple chemical and biological data sources to discover and interpret meaningful patterns and relationships.
- May assist in identifying capital equipment, and projecting near-term resource requirements.
- Contribute to scientific literature, conferences and/or understanding of company processes.
Minimum Qualification Requirements:
A BS/BEng and a minimum of (10) years, or a PhD and 2 years’ experience in a scientific or engineering discipline is required, along with SQL/Database management expertise in the biotechnology / pharmaceutical industry. Post-doctoral experience may serve as experience.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to:
- Demonstrate technical proficiency in cheminformatics, bioinformatics, data mining, creating data organizing solutions or biological data modeling.
- Demonstrate prior experience in importing scientific instrument data into ELN or LIMS systems.
- Effectively communicate complex data to a non-expert, showing a thorough understanding of the contribution of informatics to drug discovery.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of chemical database tools, and have an understanding of how these relate to organic chemistry terminology and concepts. Familiarity with ChemDraw software and chemical name-to-structure functions is desirable.
- Demonstrate effective contributions to collaborative projects involving cross-disciplinary and global teams.
- Demonstrate deep and broad SQL experience, with the ability to construct queries to provide meaningful results and visualizations to the scientists, without impacting the application OLTP times.
- Demonstrate expertise with Jython or Python.
- Demonstrate an excellent knowledge of the Oracle RDMS.
- A working knowledge of Java to assist with application diagnosis.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and basic networking knowledge in order to be able to perform basic connectivity and response time trouble-shooting.