Director, Laboratory Operations
Reporting directly to the President and CEO, the Director is responsible for directing and managing the company’s core research facility. This position is responsible for managing the day to day operations including; facilities, lab operations, IT and administrative functions; This position plays a key leadership role in establishing and maintaining the core facilities for the company.
The primary duties of the position are to:
- Initiate, implement and maintain administrative, laboratory and facilities policies.
- Work closely with research to manage CRO and collaboration process.
- Work closely with IT on infrastructure development, hardware and software needs, and day-to-day needs.
- Assist in educating staff to optimize and innovate use of shared technologies.
- Identify instrumentation and staffing needs; coordinate all research space requests.
- Assist in strategic planning for additional core facilities to support the company’s research growth.
- Reduce redundancies in scientific facilities and review under-resourced or under-utilized areas.
- Standardize administrative practices to ensure compliance/health/safety.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive training curriculum for all research staff.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures surrounding existing goals and new goals.
- Assist staff to obtain instrumentation from external sources.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets for facilities, lab operations, IT and administrative functions and work closely with R&D on annual budget preparation.
- Serve as liaison for scientific and financial operations between research, the CEO, and finance.
- Manage agreement process and work with legal to prepare, prioritize and finalize all agreement requests.
- Coordinate legal agreements and study proposal paperwork, generate POs, track all paperwork related to agreement and study related material transfer.
- Work closely with legal and executive team during due diligence projects and manage data room content, access and contracts.
- Develop and maintain a plan for managing short- and long-term scientific capital equipment.
- Manage import/export process. Prepare and manage internal and external shipping SOP’s.
BS degree in a natural science or engineering/operations management required. PhD with laboratory operations experience desired.
A minimum of 8-10 years of experience in directing laboratory operations, overseeing core facilities/offerings, and simultaneously managing multiple projects, staff, budgets, and timelines.
Significant expertise in scientific laboratory operations including extensive experience in senior level management of a scientific laboratory and shared research facility and an understanding of the academic, investigator-initiated research. Significant experience in a similar administrative role as well as a proven ability to facilitate alliances between departments and senior management.