Research Scientist I-II (Compound Management & Assay Automation Solutions)
Vertex is a global biotechnology company that aims to discover, develop and commercialize innovative medicines so people with serious diseases can lead better lives. In addition to our clinical development programs focused on cystic fibrosis, Vertex has more than a dozen ongoing research programs aimed at other serious and life-threatening diseases.
Founded in 1989 in Cambridge, Mass., Vertex today has research and development sites and commercial offices in the United States, Europe, Canada and Australia. For four years in a row, Science magazine has named Vertex one of its Top Employers in the life sciences. For additional information and the latest updates from the Company, please visit www.vrtx.com.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is seeking a Research Scientist (Automation Engineer) to join our Compound Management group in Boston, MA. The Boston group is responsible for the local storage, tracking, and distribution of compounds as an integrated component of our global compound management operation. The position requires a multi-disciplinary approach to manage the automation / informatics of daily operation, provide flexible and adaptive support of local research goals, and develop new systems and processes in collaboration with compound management operations at other sites. Some international travel is required. The successful candidate will be self-driven and a strong communicator with a track record of innovative problem-solving approaches to automation technologies. Managerial experience in supervising staff preferred.
- Support compound handling methods and processes to enable efficient execution of research activities
- Troubleshoot, operate, and maintain liquid handling instrumentation
- Lead site-wide communication and training on archive function and capabilities
- Manage and ensure integration of local support solutions with worldwide compound management strategies
- Manage and motivate team members in achieving goals
- This position requires up to 20% travel
- Minimum Requirements:
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or relevant field
- 7 – 10 years of relevant employment experience
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Familiar with early stage drug discovery practices with a focus on small molecule compound management is preferred
- Demonstrated experience with data handling / informatics / programming experience is a plus
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated leadership skills
Vertex is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Vertex will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable law.