Senior Scientist I/II, BioProcess Development, Purification
AbbVie in the Bay Area is seeking a Senior Scientist I with purification development expertise to join the BioProcess team within the CMC organization. Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at AbbVie in the Redwood City, CA location.
We are seeking a senior scientist to join a talented team developing purification processes for GMP applications. In this position the candidate will perform purification development, scale-up, viral clearance and technology transfer activities in a well-supported and dynamic environment to help advance novel cancer therapies to human clinical studies.
- Innovate, develop, optimize, and scale-up purification processes
- Transfer processes to GMP manufacturing site for clinical material production
- Work with contract labs and carry out viral clearance studies
- Conceive and evaluate novel advanced separation technologies and techniques
- Write technical publications, reports, presentations, and regulatory filings
- Work efficiently, collaboratively, and cross-functionally toward project timelines and goals
- Participate on cross-functional project teams
- Mentor and train junior scientists
- Senior Scientist I:Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, Master's Degree or equivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Senior Scientist II: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education and typically 12 years of experience, Master's Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, PhD and typically 4 years of experience.
- Must have expertise in protein purification including chromatography separations and filtration operations
- Able to independently design, execute, and interpret laboratory experiments to answer scientific questions
- Must be forward-thinking and be able to lead and contribute to scientific/technical discussions
- Able to independently learn, understand and execute novel/advanced scientific techniques
- Has excellent attention to detail and ability to keep detailed written records in lab notebook
- Able to author publications, technical reports, regulatory documents, and presentations
- Has strong communication skills including verbal, written, and scientific data presentation
- Has good understanding of biochemistry and bioprocess engineering concepts
- Able to work collaboratively within and outside of the group
- Has proficiency with Microsoft Office software, ability to learn new software applications
· Hands on experience with protein purification
- Has a strong understanding of analytical techniques, such as HPLC, and ELISA
- Experience with AKTA chromatographic instruments (such as AKTA Avant, AKTA Purifier, AKTA Pure or similar)
- Demonstrated scientific aptitude through authorship of peer-reviewed publications
- Has a strong understanding of statistical analysis
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled