Scientist I, BioProcess Development, Purification
Oncology is a key therapeutic area for AbbVie, with a portfolio consisting of three marketed products — Imbruvica, Venclexta, and Empliciti — and a pipeline containing multiple promising new molecules that are being studied in nearly 200 clinical trials in 19 different types of cancer.
AbbVie is expanding its oncology hub on the West Coast, with three sites in the San Francisco Bay Area (Redwood City, South San Francisco, and Sunnyvale) focused on the discovery and development of novel oncology therapies. More than 1,000 AbbVie scientists, clinicians, and product developers with strong entrepreneurial roots work across these three sites. They combine their expertise in immuno-oncology, stem cells, and cell-signaling with their knowledge of bispecific antibodies, antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs), and covalent-inhibitor technologies to discover and develop novel cancer treatments. This position is based at AbbVie in the Redwood City, CA location.
We are seeking a scientist to join a talented team developing purification processes for GMP applications. In this laboratory position the candidate will perform hands-on purification development and scale-up activities in a well-supported and dynamic environment to help advance novel cancer therapies to human clinical studies.
- Develop, optimize, and scale-up purification processes
- Work with contract labs and carry out viral clearance studies
- Support transfer processes to GMP manufacturing site for clinical material production
- Work efficiently, collaboratively, and cross-functionally toward project timelines and goals
- Author and deliver technical presentations
- Bachelors or Masters degree in chemical engineering, bioengineering, or a related field, with at least 5+(BS) or 2+(MS) years of experience
- Must have protein purification experience such as chromatography separations and filtration operations
- Demonstrate ability to independently execute laboratory experiments to answer scientific questions
- Has excellent attention to detail and ability to keep detailed written records in lab notebook
- Able to work collaboratively within and outside of the group
- Able to author technical reports and presentations
- Has strong communication skills including verbal, written, and scientific data presentation
- Has understanding of bioprocess engineering concepts
- Has proficiency with Microsoft Office software, ability to learn new software applications
- Has strong planning and analytical skills
- Has hands on experience with monoclonal antibody or antibody-like molecule purification at GMP, pilot and/or laboratory scale
- Experience with AKTA chromatographic instruments (such as AKTA Avant, AKTA Purifier, AKTA Pure or similar
- Understanding of analytical techniques, such as HPLC, and ELISA
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled